Jig Stick

top breamer

gday raiders

im looking at entering the jigging scene but with a budget. what im looking for is a good rod that is affordable and will handle most species around australia.

your help is much appreciated

cheers

top breamer

Hey mate Ugly Stik in the Blue water series have some in their range its about 5'6"

in 3 sizes 15kg, 24kg and 37kg spin and O/H built with the exclusive Howald process

double built blank construction and a very good price to go with it.

Call around its a good entry rod for the jigging beginner. I hope this helps..

Cheers Rizzo...

PM sent...

Rizzo

Edited by rizzo

Hi Top Breamer,

Good to see you geting into the jigging scene, i love jigging it is my fav frm of fishing but sure can be taxing on the body at time as it is hard work.

For starter to help us help you please answer the following questions:

1 - Type of Rod over head or Spin

2 - What size reel are you planing on match he sitck have you currently have a reel ready to go, if so what type.

3 - Line class what line class you planning on fishing.

Let us know what you had in mind and we can send you in the right direction.

For starters i would hve a look at the Shimano T-Curve series or the Daiwa Catalina Rods, they are good value for the $$$ you pay, and should decide jigging is not for you the yo always use these rods as a trolling live baiting rod.

But if have money to burn there are some very nice gear out there.

Cheers,

Sz1

Hey mate Ugly Stik in the Blue water series have some in their range its about 5'6"

in 3 sizes 15kg, 24kg and 37kg spin and O/H built with the exclusive Howald process

Cheers Rizzo...

PM sent...

Rizzo

I'll second that .. i got the 24kg spin model for just under $160 ... jigs like a dream :)

Cheers Rizzo...

PM sent...

Rizzo

gday rizzo thanx for ur imput it is much appreciated that sounds like a great deal and i know that ugly sticks are a tough rod too. will defiantly have a look at the 24kg spin

cheers.

Hi Top Breamer,

Good to see you geting into the jigging scene, i love jigging it is my fav frm of fishing but sure can be taxing on the body at time as it is hard work.

For starter to help us help you please answer the following questions:

1 - Type of Rod over head or Spin

2 - What size reel are you planing on match he sitck have you currently have a reel ready to go, if so what type.

3 - Line class what line class you planning on fishing.

Let us know what you had in mind and we can send you in the right direction.

For starters i would hve a look at the Shimano T-Curve series or the Daiwa Catalina Rods, they are good value for the $$$ you pay, and should decide jigging is not for you the yo always use these rods as a trolling live baiting rod.

But if have money to burn there are some very nice gear out there.

Cheers,

Sz1

hey sz1 yeh im really keen atm i got a reel for chrissy and 50 lb braid along with a few jigs so all i need now is a rod .

1. im looking at a spin rod

2. i got the fin nor offshore 85 solid reel and puts out 27 kg drag so its more than enough to handle most fish

3. i got 50lb braid spool on it

cheers

Edited by top breamer

Hi Top Breamer,

From what i have heard the Fin Nor Offshores are a solid reel with a nifty drag on it. I have not played with the Fin Nor jig stick or the Ugly Stick Jig rods so i can't comment.

I have a Shimano T-curve 200, this was my first jig sick and it have served me well, i have taken this rod to WA and landed Samson fish up to 20kgs with no problems. The rod is rated to 24kg and is a 2pc rod with a butt joint configuration. Other rods you can have a look at are the jiwrex Pe6 rod or the daiwa catalina rods. These are all pretty good rods at a reasonable price, just shop around as i find that prices fluctuates between shop and sometimes it is a pretty big margin.

What i suggest also is to go into a store and have a play with all the rods mentions ie Fin nors, ugly stick so you can get a feel of the difference, and also bring you reel along so you can feel what it is like with your reel on it.

Cheers,

Sz1