Thursday Night Squidding Frustration!

Brooker435

Raiders,

Not too sure if any of you have experienced this before but I was pretty disturbed by it...

went out last night for a couple of hours to try gather a few squid for the weekend.

Went to my usual spot in the Hacking focoused on catching yakkas for a while till it got dark managed only 1 then I got the squid rod ready using a Pink Yo-zuri 2.0 with a small ball sinker running.

The Squid did turn up in Numbers probably scaring the yakkas away by doing so.

But no matter what I tried I could not catch one for the life of me.

Took the sinker off I tried 8 different jigs and all they did is come up to the jig then back away.

I was using 6lb Braid with a 8lb Vanish leader I was also thinging of using the squid leader I bought from the tackle store a coule of weeks ago but I am under the impression that the Squid were after something different... I used Pink,Orange,Blue & green couolred jigs ranging from 1.8 to 2.5 does anyone have any ideas as I usually get a couple of squid but not this time.. on a positive note managed to catch a few more yakkas after the squid settled down but would have much rather get Squid.

Regards,

Nathan

Raiders,

Not too sure if any of you have experienced this before but I was pretty disturbed by it...

went out last night for a couple of hours to try gather a few squid for the weekend.

Went to my usual spot in the Hacking focoused on catching yakkas for a while till it got dark managed only 1 then I got the squid rod ready using a Pink Yo-zuri 2.0 with a small ball sinker running.

The Squid did turn up in Numbers probably scaring the yakkas away by doing so.

But no matter what I tried I could not catch one for the life of me.

Took the sinker off I tried 8 different jigs and all they did is come up to the jig then back away.

I was using 6lb Braid with a 8lb Vanish leader I was also thinging of using the squid leader I bought from the tackle store a coule of weeks ago but I am under the impression that the Squid were after something different... I used Pink,Orange,Blue & green couolred jigs ranging from 1.8 to 2.5 does anyone have any ideas as I usually get a couple of squid but not this time.. on a positive note managed to catch a few more yakkas after the squid settled down but would have much rather get Squid.

Regards,

Nathan

Hi mate sometimes I find that a little bit of scent on the jig helps as well. I also find that when they won't touch the usual colours a jig in natural colour always does the trick. I hope this helps for next time.

Reguards Michael

lol i totally understand your frustration. Seeing the squid and not hooking up is much more frustrating than when they are not around...

I've had that many many times.. Although I was able to trick them occasionally with my natural coloured jig, I've developed a really interesting technique which worked one session... But I gotta test it again before I can confirm if it works on these picky squid. Basically move the jig fast, rather than that slow boring retrieve.

Just wondering though, where do you see all these squid? I've never seen them around in the Hacking before. I'm guessing you fish in one of those places not many people know about...

Anyway if you want I can give you some more info, just pm me.

Edited by zephi

let it lie on the floor and skip it quite fast along the sand/rocks/weed been able to trick a few myself and have caught alot off squid recently... They are in numbers just need to be patient especially with the hacking

Its not just you. I spent 4 hours trying to catch those timid squid in the hacking on Tue night. They would investigate most of my jigs but wouldn't strike. I did catch one at the start of the night but that was it.

Fast retrieves did get a little more interest and some follows but not strikes.

I'm going to put it down to the rail, my theory is they aren't hungry because they are well fed.

Other nights they are so ravenous I can catch them on poppers in the same spot ;)