Downrigger Questions

andrew399

Im new to downrigging, obviously if there are fish or bait on the sounder id run the bomb at that depth, but if nothing is showing up and im just going to have a bit of a DR to check out the area how far off the bottom do i set the bomb?

Thanks

depends on the structure of the bottom your fishing??? if reefy and constantly changing depths stay slear of it. but in a flat area i've put it 2m off the bottom to be safe from snags and hooked up when the sounder has no activity. but i've also had it 5m under the boat when trolling the wall at botany....... so vary it up and 5 trolls low 5 high is the best advice i can say.

I agree with Fishinick, It all depends on the bottom structure as to how deep you set it. If your over sand then you can put it within a meter of the bottom so as to give the bottom fish as well as the cruisers a chance of hitting your offfering.

Regards Jeff

ive been told to just use the sounder :/ and put it maybe 1 metre under what shows up as long as its not too close to the bottom i will be testng my one out this weekend :) i have got a scotty's depthmaster 1050 now

make sure you sound out the area your going to be downrigging dont just expect the ground to be at the same depth you will loose bombs

if im looking for kings i like to keep my bombs at mid water as the kings can always rise up and get your baits

if you bombs too low and the kings are above it there going to miss it and this keeps your bombs away from snags

but if you have kings on the sounder and you are working a school set the bomb at the same depth or a little above