Vhf Mrovcp Radio Licence

suttonscurse

Hi Guys

I needed to get a VHF radio licence having updated the 27meg radio in the boat. Due to work commitments / lack of free time I studied for the course using an online facility. Fairly straight forward, you pay for 1 months access to the course (and a series of review tests) that you can access from anywhere you a have an internet connection. After i became confident that I was conversant with the study course i arranged to take the test via an Invigilator ( a person authorised to supervise the written test - local contact details found off the net) .

I am pleased to say that I acheived a score of 92% and will shortly have my Certificate of Proficiency . :D

The overall cost of the exercise was a bit over a $100, the exam was reasonable - took about 15 minutes plus time to complete all the paperwork so for those of you who can't make the time for a structured course I would recommend the on line / self study option.

regards Bill

Edited by Suttons Curse

Hi - as per the website link the online study course was $49, The exam fee was $56 plus whatever you negotiate with the invigilator for his time in supervising the exam.

As I said , it worked for me , but you do need to put the time in to study. (Now have no worries about any hassles / on the spot fines for having a VHF radio without the certificate)

regards Bill

I didnt know I need a license for the Radio !?!?

Is it only from a certain strength ? Or is is valid for all radios?

If the radio is a 27 Meg there is no licence needed . Because VHF is longer range and also has channels used by commercial ships / port operations you are required to to be licenced.

regards Bill

Edited by Suttons Curse

if you turn your radio on and it goes to chan 16 you have a VHF radio and need a license

if it doesnt you have a 26meg and no license required

i need to get my license soon i dont want to cop one of those fines

i dont even use the radio i just have it for safety

Edited by Framedtrash

• 8 months later...

I was looking into the licence today (as i ordered a cool vhf handheld with gps)

I read (on the web):

1) You have to have a radio if your operating more than 2 nautical miles offshore; and

2) Its an offence to use the a vhf radio without a MROVCP, unless its an emergency.

Does that mean, if I only intend to use it in an emergency then I dont need the licence?

Has anyone been fined for having one and not having the MROVCP?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking into the licence today (as i ordered a cool vhf handheld with gps)

I read (on the web):

1) You have to have a radio if your operating more than 2 nautical miles offshore; and

2) Its an offence to use the a vhf radio without a MROVCP, unless its an emergency.

Does that mean, if I only intend to use it in an emergency then I dont need the licence?

Has anyone been fined for having one and not having the MROVCP?

Thanks

The Radio Communications Act 1992 cover's you for using a marine radio in the case of an emergency:

Section 49 Emergency operation etc. of radiocommunications devices

(1) A person does not contravene section 46 or 47 by operating a

radiocommunications device, or having a radiocommunications

device in his or her possession, in the reasonable belief that the

operation or possession was necessary for the purpose of:

(a) securing the safety of a vessel, aircraft or space object that

was in danger; or

(B) dealing with an emergency involving a serious threat to the

environment; or

© dealing with an emergency involving risk of death of, or

injury to, persons; or

(d) dealing with an emergency involving risk of substantial loss

of, or substantial damage to, property.

(2) In proceedings for an offence against section 46 or 47, the burden

of proving any of the matters referred to in subsection (1) lies on

the defendant.

(3) Nothing in this section limits the scope of the expression

“reasonable excuse” in section 46 or 47.