Nepean Bass...hard Work But Landed A Few

Rocked up to Bluecod's place about 5 a.m. and we head off to the Nepean for an anticipated good bass session. By all indications the signs were good, barometric was over 1020 and rising plus little or no wind forecast. We arrived at the Nepean and it was just getting light, motored up the river cautiously as it was quite foggy and the entrance to the gorge is narrow and you have to watch the submerged big rocks. We had a few takes early, but it wasnt firing, I lost a good fish in the first half hour and it took about an hour before we boated our first one of the day, albeit a small one to Bluecod, but a bass is a bass. It was another hour or so before we landed another one, this time Bluecod first, then as I was watching something boof Bluecod's popper a decent sized 25 cm bass took my popper and a short tussle followed, Bluecod then landed another one, 3 in 5 minutes, things looked good. Well, unfortunately it wasnt to be, we flogged the water for about another 40 mintues to an hour b4 I scored an nice one at 31 cms, it fought well and buried itself in some weeds, but we manourvered the boat over with the leccy and up she came, nice fish. We fished to about 11 with Bluecod and I landing another bass each plus Bluecod also scoring a fast moving herring. It was a tough session of flyfishing, but it was lots of fun. Well done Bluecod on scoring well on your first bass outing, and again, thanks for the good company. Here's a pic of my 31 cm bass.

Guest Jocool

Thats right fellas...Keep posting those Bass reports! It will motivate me real soon to get out there and try!!!! :1prop::1prop:

Good going Ken and George. And congrats on your first Bass Bluey! :thumbup:

Guest bluecod

Thanks Ken for the very interesting day out on the Nepean. :1clap:

As Narra said it was my first time after bass and also the first time fishing the freshwater. Thanks Joecool, but I don't know if an 8cm bass qualifies for a "1st", followed by a HUGE one of the immense proportions of 10cm, however I eventually managed another monster of about 25cm - but at least they were all caught on flies I tied myself. :thumbup:

At the tail end of the season, the small bass have piqued my interest and I will be back for a slightly larger model when things start to warm up again later in the year.

BTW my alternate ride for the day with the Cap'n was very productive for them, hooking about 40 dollies to about 3.5 kgs and the Sydney North Fad is confirmed missing - all dollies were caught around the traps with water temps around 23.5 deg.

The Nepean is a great fishery Lizard, but I think things are slowing down there now with the season coming to an end. Thats why it might have been a hard day's fishing. Saw the dollie post Geroge, hmmmmmmmmmmm, at least we did land some fish.