Hole In The Wall

The Iceman

Looking for a boat ramp to use for an upcoming comp on botony bay to launch a skeeter tournie boat

The comp is on the 31st of jan and the problem I can see is the low tide for that day is 0.06m at around 4:30pm

Question is will we have trouble retrieving the boat(it is a drive on trailer) on a very low tide at this ramp

Looking at retrieving the boat at around 3:30pm

Probably.

Since they fixed the ramp up the end of it is in better nick and a bit deeper than it used to be. Having said that I only have to pull the Poly up not a Skeeter.

I have never launched at Tom Uglys maybe someone who has used it could tell you if it is a better option.

Dave

Thanks Dave

To play it safe I think we may go to Oatley

The tide is often about an hour later at Oatley, so about 5:30pm if it's a 4:30pm fort denison tide. I think the tide will already be pretty low at 3:30. When you get super low tides at Oatley you have to be careful not to drop the trailer off the end of the ramp. The end of the ramp is approximately in line with the first post that is in the corner of the pontoon, possibly a bit before. If the water is anywhere near this level it would pay to have someone CAREFULLY wade in on the VERY SLIPPERY ramp to check you have the depth and where the end is. The angle of the ramp becomes shallower down towards this bottom end too.

Good Luck

The tide is often about an hour later at Oatley, so about 5:30pm if it's a 4:30pm fort denison tide. I think the tide will already be pretty low at 3:30. When you get super low tides at Oatley you have to be careful not to drop the trailer off the end of the ramp. The end of the ramp is approximately in line with the first post that is in the corner of the pontoon, possibly a bit before. If the water is anywhere near this level it would pay to have someone CAREFULLY wade in on the VERY SLIPPERY ramp to check you have the depth and where the end is. The angle of the ramp becomes shallower down towards this bottom end too.

Good Luck

Thanks I know Oatley ramp pretty well

With two hours before the bottom of the tide we should be fine there

Iceman,

we use the hole in the wall regularly on all tides and have found it

to be no trouble what so ever. I have a 15' F/G runabout and drive

on as does my mate with his 17' quinnie. Of the two, my mates f100

yamaha four stroke is the heaviest and with the usual precautionary

tilt of the motor at the right time - no worries.

To be honest neither of us have thought this ramp to be anything but

an all rounder with regards to tides and until I read your post had not

even considered it otherwise.

With regards to wind it is also an easy option in most local conditions.