Clifton Gardens

ritchie

How did you go mate?..is it any good in the mornings?

went there a couple of weeks ago, after christmas and i must admitt that fishing there is picking up. Though i didn't land anything massive, i got 2 decent runs that night. I arrived at around 4:00am to bag myself a spot at the end of the pier. Hooked up on a small reddie and upon reeling him up he got chomped by a rat kingy.

Later on this bloke has a small run and hooks up on a nice salmon, funny thing was he was used a piece of bacon as bait :1prop:

As night fell i get a run on my bait runner. I striked it and after fighting for a while all goes dead. I noticed that the hook snapped off the swivel :ranting2:

Anyways rigged up again and went to go catching livies. Caught a slimey and gave it to these two blokes. After about 1/2 hour he gets a massive hit and fights for a while however gets pinged. All and all we didn't land anything however there are some big pelagics out there and all the livies you can catch.

Nice! planning an overnight trip out there soon..hopefully i'll hook something to remember :)

is it any good @ night anyway?

Nights not bad, would prefer to head down there before sunrise but to lazy.

All my hook / bust ups were at night usually from the occasional jew or Noah. All i can say is good luck getting a spot if you head down just after sunset.

Is it packed there during the week at night?

Im thinking of heading down there now, being Aust Day i bet that area was packed with picnic / fisherman so im hoping by the time i get there everyone will have packed up and gone home.

Last Saturday night i went down there and as i drove into the car park i saw the wharf was completely packed it looked ridiculous, everyone was shoulder to shoulder so i didnt even bother getting out i just moved onto The Spit Bridge, which was too windy and too much boat traffic and i had a bucketload of bait and it was only early in the night so i thought id go over to brooklyn under the F3 and there was no wind at all but i got nothing but the usual - catfish like everyone else there.

I'll report back and let everyone know how it goes.

Came back empty handed once again! :05:

I got there around 8.30pm and it was packed as usual so i hung around for 30min waiting for a spot and sussing it out but no luck so i shot up to The Spit which was also packed, (i hate fishing when its crowded) so i went down under the harbour bridge for an hour and had no bites, same as other people there.

So i thought stuff it ill just go back to Clifton Gardens by that time it was about 10.30 and a dozen people were leaving, some had some decent size catches in their buckets so i thought i may have some luck.

Spent a good 3 hours there and barely got a bite, was using Fresh Prawns, Pilchards and Squid, seen there was barely anything i put a small hook on my partners line so she could atleast catch something small for fun and she pulled in a tiny fish but it dropped off when she pulled it out of the water, same deal for everyone else there from what i saw besides the 2 old woman and a group of asians with 3 bucket loads of tiny fish that they just caught by hand dropping some line in the water with bait, it jacks me off so much when i see people with bucket loads of tiny undersized fish. Usually the ones that cant speak much english.

Hopefully it doesnt rain tomorrow morning as i have a job down that way early in the morning so i might sink a line about 6am as the tide comes in.

Edited by defyet

Unlucky mate.

Well it really depends what you're fishing for? I usually have a sabiki rig ready to catch some yakka's for live bait then throw it out. When waiting i just keep stocking up for livies. If its really dark and you don't have a sibiki jig, best bet is to tie a glow stick, in replace of the sinker and let it sink slowly. When you see your glow stick moving erratically in the water, strike it and you'll definitely hook up. I can't be bothered rigging up sabiki rigs in the dark, to much bait to put on :1prop:

Might have to try Clifton out one of these days.