Downrigger Setup

Berleyguts

I have 2 Cannon downriggers that came with my boat when I purchased it. I haven't used them yet. Instead of steel cable like I have seen on downriggers in stores, they have what looks like a braided line. It is colour coded, I assume to assist in gauging depth.

Are these OK to use, or should I be switching to cable?

I have 2 x 1.5kg bombs.

I do want to troll with them for kings eventually but at this stage I am thinking of using them to set live baits (or slab/butterflied baits) down deep for jew.

Would appreciate the help of the Fishraider brains trust.

Thanks,

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

I have 2 Cannon downriggers that came with my boat when I purchased it. I haven't used them yet. Instead of steel cable like I have seen on downriggers in stores, they have what looks like a braided line. It is colour coded, I assume to assist in gauging depth.

Are these OK to use, or should I be switching to cable?

I have 1 x 1.5kg bombs.

I do want to troll with them for kings eventually but at this stage I am thinking of using them to set live baits (or slab/butterflied baits) down deep for jew.

Would appreciate the help of the Fishraider brains trust.

Thanks,

Baz

i've heard that braided curves in the water and may play up with your rod line, where as steel cable doesn't cause flex because of its obvious stiffness...... so it may cause problems on a higher idle but if u drifting over a jew hole dont see it can cause a problem.... give it a go and see what happens. all about trial and error. steel cable makes a bit of vibrating noise that may spook the jews...... i've only downrigged for kings.

1.5kg bomb may be a bit light for kings as strong currents can lift the bomb cause if needed to increase speed..... the bomb wont be sitting straight down under the boat and will be angled back of the boat, if u understand what i mean.

are the downriggers black or white mate? if theyre white i think they are the tournament edition riggers with a spool made from a different material thats capable of holding braided lines unlike the black ones which should only be rigged with wire as far as i know. id prefer the braid as it would eliminate the humming noise that the wire makes which is quite loud, hope this helps.

Edited by Hooked up

are the downriggers black or white mate? if theyre white i think they are the tournament edition riggers with a spool made from a different material thats capable of holding braided lines unlike the black ones which should only be rigged with wire as far as i know. id prefer the braid as it would eliminate the humming noise that the wire makes which is quite loud, hope this helps.

Thanks. They are black. One is called a Cannon Easy Troll and I think the other is called Cannon Sports Troll or something. I'll give the braid a go. It's just that it looks a bit frail to hang a 1.5kg bomb off.

At this stage I am just thinking of using them at anchor (rather than trolling) in some deep holes in the Hawkesbury to set a couple of livies down deep or in mid-water. I'm not really sure how to set the clips up properly but will read up and experiment.

Cheers,

Baz

do you know the breaking strain on the braid?? 1.5kg isn't that heavy..... they should be 30lb+ braid. but if just anchored no drama's then!

No but I'm still pretty new to braid, so not really used to the diameters. It's certainly heavier then the light braids I use on my reels (2-6kg), so I guess it will be OK. Judging by a couple of trout lures I found under the floor when I lifted it, I suspect they may have been used for downrigging freshwater lakes.

Thanks all for the tips on downrigging in strong currents on the troll. Something to keep in mind.

Cheers,

Baz

G'day Berleyguts,

I switched my Scotty 1050 over from wire to braid and couldn't be happier. I've used 200lb braid both for breaking strain and handling. It handles as easily as wire, causes absolutely no problems when trolling, doesn't corrode, and most importantly, doesn't hum.

Cheers, Slinky

there are a few issues that come with braid

if you have a habbit of running your bombs into things your are going to loose them braid will cut on sharp objects unlike wire

you have to wash out the braid after every outing just like with your reels salt will build up in the braid and if left unchecked will result in the braid snapping and you loosing your bombs

and from time to time you will need to check the knot connections at the bomb to make sure the knot is ok and if not cut the braid and retie

there is nothing wrong with braid tho but i prefer wire as i have a lot more confidence its not going to snap and loose my expensive bombs and if i get it snagged on a tree branch underwater instead of praying it wont cut the braid i can simply power on and rip threw the tree :)

and if the hum from the wire gets to you theres ways to fix it

simply get a tennis ball make a slit in it and place it on the wire up as close to the downrigger as possible

and bamm hum is gone

if you have a habbit of running your bombs into things your are going to loose them braid will cut on sharp objects unlike wire

you have to wash out the braid after every outing just like with your reels salt will build up in the braid and if left unchecked will result in the braid snapping and you loosing your bombs

and from time to time you will need to check the knot connections at the bomb to make sure the knot is ok and if not cut the braid and retie

there is nothing wrong with braid tho but i prefer wire as i have a lot more confidence its not going to snap and loose my expensive bombs and if i get it snagged on a tree branch underwater instead of praying it wont cut the braid i can simply power on and rip threw the tree :)

and if the hum from the wire gets to you theres ways to fix it

simply get a tennis ball make a slit in it and place it on the wire up as close to the downrigger as possible

and bamm hum is gone

Thanks. Good tip on the tennis ball. I'll keep that in mind if I go to wire.

Incidentally, how much could I expect to pay for a bomb if was to lose one?

Baz

Great point Ft... not one I even thought of but I only use my bomb in clear water these days so it never even crossed my mind. Glad I kept the wire... I'll stick with the braid mostly but I'll swap it over if I'm going to be using my rigger around trees or ugly reef. Thanks mate.

Cheers, Slinky

G'day Berleyguts,

I switched my Scotty 1050 over from wire to braid and couldn't be happier. I've used 200lb braid both for breaking strain and handling. It handles as easily as wire, causes absolutely no problems when trolling, doesn't corrode, and most importantly, doesn't hum.

Cheers, Slinky

slinky, did u find that with the braid not being stiff like wire that the line has a curve in it as it travels through the water or anything??