Alvey Reel And Braid

Northsider

There's no reason you can't use braid. Just bear in mind, it won't get rid of line twist, it just won't spin up on itself like twisted mono does. The line will still be twisted. To get rid of twist you might want to upgrade swivels or change the sort of rigs you use. Do you use a swivel above your rigs?

Also bear in mind that braid and rocks don't mix well. Doesn't mean you can't use braid for rock fishing... a lot of people do... but one touch when you've got a fish on and 'ping'. Believe me, lately I've been getting waaay to familiar with the feel of line on rock.

Cheers, Slinky

gday mate , as slinky said you really need to put a swivel up above the sinker, this wont completely eliminate the twist but it will help to slow it down somewhat. The problem with alvey reels is every time you turn the reel to cast and turn it back to wind it puts another twist in the line. My advice is to slowly and carefully drop the unwieghted/twisted line out the back of a moving boat and feed out about 100 mtrs and just hold it for several minutes and allow the water pressure from the moving boat to untwist the line then wind it all back on and use a swivel above the sinker and hopefully this will improve the problems.

good luck

pete.

Pilchard,

I used a 650 Alvey off the beach for over 20 years and found it to be the best outfit ever. I really got the hang of big casts and got some big fish too. In the early days I had trouble with line twist and went to a nice soft supple line. I only ever ran about 9kg. Make sure though, when you spool it on it goes on reel to reel. What I mean is don't let the line come off the spool sideways onto the reel, because every time you turn your putting a twist into it. I hope you can understand what I mean. Since I used to change my line that way I never got line twist. Swivels are a must as well. I always just used a simple swivel rigged off the main line with about a 30lb mono leader about 1 metre and a running sinker on the leader. Use as little weight as the surf will let you.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers,

Brian

Ladies/Gentlemen,

I am sick of all the line twist i keep getting on my 650b Alvey,

Am i able to spool it up with Braid to get rid of hte continual line twists???

THANKS~!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

:mad3::05:

Hi mate, as most have hinted here, ensure you are using a small 'quality' swivel before your rig. I use Alvey's a lot off the beach and here are some other tips I have found useful:

Before loading up the Alvey with line, place it in warm water in bucket, whilst loading up the reel with your new line. Ensure the line spool in the bucket doesn't spin around (bouncing around) too much when loading up the Alvey - load up nice and evenly. Cheap line has great twist memory!....Also, sometimes a heavy leader/sinker rig mismatched with a light swivel can render the swivel useless in it's ability to minimise twist...play around with swivel sizes if need be.

Cheers,

S.

Ladies/Gentlemen,

I am sick of all the line twist i keep getting on my 650b Alvey,

Am i able to spool it up with Braid to get rid of hte continual line twists???

THANKS~!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

:mad3::05:

I've used an alvey all my life and prefer it over an eggbeater any day. However unlike eggbeaters alvey reels take a long time to master and you will get lots of tangles trying but keep at it. They are designed for monofilament lines not braid. You need to use your finger to guide line onto an alvey and braid will cut your finger too easily.

Line twist can be caused by any number of reasons and don't forget an eggbeater puts a twist in the line every time you turn the handle so an alvey reel should not be any worse. As Brian points out, make sure you wind new line on spool to spool, use good quality line and it must be wet first so you don't friction burn your finger or the line when winding it on.

The correct way to wind line onto an alvey is to use your left index finger to guide the line evenly and firmly across the spool as you wind with the right hand. This creates friction over your left finger which would feel like a knife if you used braid. Monofilament lines are softer but even they need to be kept wet to reduce friction over your finger. Also line that is wound onto the spool loosely or unevenly will bunch up and tangle on the next cast so its very important to practice using your left finger when winding the reel.

Good luck.