Heavy Duty Knot

fishsong

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to fishing and was wondering what type of knot you guys use for heavy duty outfits. My knots seem to pull when i hook on to bigger fish.

Also can the same knot be used for braid and mono?

Any advice would be appreciated.

btw.. great site.. I've learned so much from reading all your posts.

Cheers

What sort of fishing are you doing fishsong? And what sort of breaking strain and type of line are you using.

There are lots of options but the simplest is the good old Uni knot. It can be used for line to terminals, line to leader, braid to mono. There are other knots that have some specific benefits like being compact for casting through the guides, being quick to tie, etc.

Let us know and I'm sure lots of Raiders can help.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks for the reply Slinky,

I'm trying to target bigger kingfish and other pelegic fish on a spinning reel...

On my heaviest outfit i've got 60lb main line braid and use 60lb fluorocarbon leader..

Hopefully that helps.

Cheers

Hi fishsong, if you know how to tie an ordinary blood knot with a single tag and average about five wraps around the main leaderline depending on line thickness which determines the number of turns you should make, you can double the tag and pass the loop thru the eye of the hook towards the barb and then turn the loop back over the eye of the hook to face up the leader this time and make an average of three turns around the main line..this then gives you 6 wraps in loop form going up the main leader line.. You then pass the loop back down over the wraps and push the loop thru the space immediately above the eye of the hook where you started from and then tighten it slowly after lubricating the knot and the area around the knot and then slowly work the wraps down neatly towards the top of the eye of the hook with your thumb nail.. . You will now have a loop going thru the space just above the eye and the single tag will be laying along the leaderline and the end of the single will be facing up towards the rod tip.

Pull on the main line and the both tags working them simultaneosly to tighten the knot, then plyer tighten the loop and the single tag going up the leader line at the same time... Then cut the loop and the tag and have each of the three ends say 2mm long and that gives you a sling around the eye of the hook and all three tag ends are clenched in tight by the wraps around around the hook end of the leader.

This knot, being a series of wraps only around a leader line, is virtually a knotless knot and a desription of the knot strength would be as follows:

The harder the fish pulls, the more the pressure of the four line sling effect around the eye of the hook takes up the strain and quickly exhausts and the pressure goes directly into the main leader line under and in the centre of the wraps over it..

This knot can be used on hooks, swivels, etc and for the doubled ends of heavy snapper lead style loops etc tied to a one end of a run thru line ring or swivel etc and is really a form of a doubled line clinch knot which tightens under pressure and clenches into and locks the three tag ends in tighter.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

With line in that class I'd personally use a slim beauty knot for my braid to leader connection. It's an easy knot to tie, very strong and compact so it can be easily wound through the runners.

A double uni would also be fine for leader to line although a little more clunky if you're going to be casting a lot.

Here's a couple of pics to illustrate the knot Jewgaffer is describing. He showed it to me one night and I use it as a particularly easy way to tie 2 hook rigs... once you 'snip the loop' like in the final pic, the second hook can be tied to the 'dropper' created.

post-6175-1265004351_thumb.jpg

post-6175-1265004363_thumb.jpg

post-6175-1265004374_thumb.jpg

post-6175-1265004382_thumb.jpg

For terminals a uni knot is a simple, strong connection too.

Cheers, Slinky

I agree with the above, slim beauty is my prefered knot for leader to braid as it is slimmer, the uni knot is also good and I find it easier to tie under pressure as I haver done it hundreds of times for terminal tackle and limp braid can be difficult to wrap around the leader in a kayak in rough seas. I have not had either fail me aside from once where I didn't tighten the slim beauty knot properly.

I use only the Slim Beauty for leader to main line connections and only a 5 turn Uni for all terminals. These two knots work in all mono and braid strengths you are likely to use. I have put a serious amount of hurt on some of my gear both from Harbour Kings and up north on Black Jews, GT's etc and these knots are up to the challenge!! :biggrin2:

• 1 month later...

yep im using the fg knot too, use it on my king outfit with 50lb braid and 80lb leader, have had a locked spheros and didn't falter.

but for mono connection i use a double in my main and albright to my leader.

What does FG stand for? wink.gif

FG whatever,THATS THE GT KNOT and its the only knot to tie heavy braid to heavy leader.

Cheers Stewy

For my heavier setups I use a plaited double with a ballbearing snap swivel joined with a cats paw...snagged up under the rip bridge and thought stuff it and used it as an anchor, didn't fault. Not reccomended for the gear but was funny at the time. This setup however obviously can't be used if you want a wind on leader.

Daniel.