Need Help!

galvin

Hello raiders,

I have a old johnson 35hp and need to know were to put the gearcase oil and what type to use, this may be a silly question but i don't want to stuff up and put it in the wrong hole. I have taken out a few plugs with no oil coming out, i did notice some oil coming from the prop a while ago but it has just been sitting in the garage and i would say it has all leaked out, no biggy.. but just want to get some more oil into it..

I have added a photo with numbers pointing to spots where i have removed the plugs..

Any help would be appreciated...

Thank you, livebait!! :1fishing1:

post-2163-1265093241_thumb.jpg

Number 2 is the fill plug and number 3 drain plug...sort of! Read on.

Put a dish or tray under the leg and remove plug 3. A little oil should come out. The unscrew plug 2 and the flow should increase. Leave to drain for 30 mins or so.

To fill you need to put oil in via plug 3. You can use a squeezy bottle and tube or big syringe but ideally Johnson do a pump that screws in..no mess, no fuss. Use Johnson HiViz gear oil or similar.

When the oil starts to flow from the upper plug 2 your done. Screw plug 2 in first using a new washer as this will stop the oil you have put in draining away when you do the bottom screw...you'll lose a little but not much.

Screw in the bottom plug with a new washer...then undo the top screw again and top up until oil flows from the hole...just to be sure you replaced any oil you have lost.

Check tightness of both.

The drained oil can anything from brown to black but if its like coffee with milk or there's water floating in it you have a duff seal somewhere to be attended to.

Hope that helps

C.

Edited by chrisg

Number 2 is the fill plug and number 3 drain plug...sort of! Read on.

Put a dish or tray under the leg and remove plug 3. A little oil should come out. The unscrew plug 2 and the flow should increase. Leave to drain for 30 mins or so.

To fill you need to put oil in via plug 3. You can use a squeezy bottle and tube or big syringe but ideally Johnson do a pump that screws in..no mess, no fuss. Use Johnson HiViz gear oil or similar.

When the oil starts to flow from the upper plug 2 your done. Screw plug 2 in first using a new washer as this will stop the oil you have put in draining away when you do the bottom screw...you'll lose a little but not much.

Screw in the bottom plug with a new washer...then undo the top screw again and top up until oil flows from the hole...just to be sure you replaced any oil you have lost.

Check tightness of both.

The drained oil can anything from brown to black but if its like coffee with milk or there's water floating in it you have a duff seal somewhere to be attended to.

Hope that helps

C.

+1

Hi, Chris is spot on and while at it remove prop and grease propshaft and check for any fishing line around p/shaft. No.3 is where you undo the shift shaft connector when removing the gearbox to replace the impeller.

Only thing is that you should use the new HPF gear oil and as mentioned you can buy for about $30 a kit with this oil and the pump he mentions-very easy and mess free. We keep in stock if you want to pick one up or we can send out.

Cheers,

Huey.

thank you to all that replied... in and ready to go. I have been rebuilding a old savage voyager and she is nealy ready to be launched, i will post pics when finished.

regards livebait!! :1fishing1:

Edited by live bait!!