Whats Happening After All The Rain?

tide'n'knots

Hi guys I am unable to get out fishing this week on my days off (mon, tue) just wondering if anyone has been out after all this rain? and how was it? I noticed that the hawkesbury river was up a fair way at north richmond and I suspect that the river may be fishing well around brooklyn with the fresh pushing the fish closer to the mouth - flint and steel should be holding some good jewwies waiting for mullet etc you would think - likewise botany bay. I have caught some memorable catches over the years after heaps of rain, can anyone shed some light on whats happening or is everyone woosing out because of the conditions :074:

pete.

Pete,

I woosed out yesterday. I wanted to fish Botany Bay but gave the idea away. I'm hoping to go this weekend, maybe to the Bay, however the missus might want to go to Wisemans for the weekend and I'm suspecting it will be a tad too fresh up there, eh?

I wish I could fish mid week!

Baz

Sunday arvo Brooklyn for the ebb tide & run-out.

Water was all over the place & running very hard. No real ebb at all & so thick with large jellyfish that continually fouled the lines.

Heaps of crabs for that small window when the water slowed.

Got a nice bream & 37cm and some small school jews. plenty of pickers, but nothing of note took the nice fresh baits.

The water was surprisingly nice - not muddy at all and it was warm - 26.

The driving rain sent us home just after dark. If the fish were on, we would have handled it easy.

Cheers

Pete,

I woosed out yesterday. I wanted to fish Botany Bay but gave the idea away. I'm hoping to go this weekend, maybe to the Bay, however the missus might want to go to Wisemans for the weekend and I'm suspecting it will be a tad too fresh up there, eh?

I wish I could fish mid week!

Baz

gday baz, yeah I reckon we have had too much rain for wisemans to fire - but you never know! it could be ok. ive had some great catches in chocolate coloured water down there. somehow I have a feeling its a bit too much fresh in the system.

pete

Sunday arvo Brooklyn for the ebb tide & run-out.

Water was all over the place & running very hard. No real ebb at all & so thick with large jellyfish that continually fouled the lines.

Heaps of crabs for that small window when the water slowed.

Got a nice bream & 37cm and some small school jews. plenty of pickers, but nothing of note took the nice fresh baits.

The water was surprisingly nice - not muddy at all and it was warm - 26.

The driving rain sent us home just after dark. If the fish were on, we would have handled it easy.

Cheers

i am surprised the water was clean!!!! maybe the fresh hadn't made it all the way there yet? thanks for the update.

pete.

Went fishing from 3:30am - 6:30am this morning land based in the georges and picked up 30 fish with my mate, I grabbed 18 of them in 2 hours before stopping to help him land a few more we got 4 whiting, 1 baby snapper, a Tarwhine and 24 Bream

Everytime we cast we got nailed so I'd say its worth going for a fish, nobody was out this morning which was brilliant, planning on going to the same place around 3am this morning to fish more of the run up to high tide since thats when we nailed our biggest fish

Hi guys ..... can anyone shed some light on whats happening or is everyone woosing out because of the conditions

pete.

Pete, rain is always a good thing mate. When I first came down from the country I found that heavy rain for a few days on end gave a saltwater river a good flush out and the fish always livened up after it cleared. I didn't know much about fishing closer to mouth areas as the tides came in being a young boy at the time until my mates and I found out we had more fun fishing off Taronga Park Wharf when the water under Milperra Bridge or salt pan creek, where we caught the Hearne Bay bus via Clarenden Road to get access to and our best spot to get bream, whiting and flathead, was far to muddy to fish at the time.

Flooding type rain only gives keen fishermen who wanted to fish closer the heads a break off the water for a few days or so which passes away quickly on the Hawksebury. But to get the best out of what we've had or even if the rain in other parts of Sydney hadn't mudded the water much at all, we still need a change away from this type of cycle that's been giving us no nice day relief and settling in for a while and then changing up and down periodically... i.e. like change days in a normal cycle of seasonal weather would produce to give fishermen more to look forward to in order to strike episodes of hot bite periods species to species in accordance with the best bite times.

For the last couple of weeks there's been a shortage of reports and a shortage of relief days that bring back what we are used to as normality within a season.... We need some of those days that produce a sudden spring in the air regardless of season. Even normal days that are ongoing and gradually lessen the bite, bring a change in the pecking order i.e. where predators are more likely to come in and catch bloated fish unawares or, finding no fish in their comfort zone, are more likely to take well presented baits and even lures that are look a likes, and also fish such as flathead for example particularly when there is no other food like fry etc in their comfort zone.

As would be only natural after days of continual bad weather that's much the same day after day, and to get the best out of our time spent fishing we need to fish on the first nice day that comes along when say the average office girl is more inclined to sit in Hyde Park and feed the pidgeons at lunch time rather than go back to work, and the average worker who has to wait and see what the weekend brings, suddenly sees the first clear blue sky he's seen for a long while and feels nice in the clear morning air, and then suddenly get's the urge to rush back home and take the boat out. It's not about catching a fish here and there in miserable conditions or good conditions for that matter it's about being there on a change day either way and catching more fish more often irrespective of fishing in comfort or having some discomfort with not many other adverse factors on the day.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

You can cross off Narra Lake at the moment. It's strong coffee coloured and floating weed everywhere.

I hit the lake this morning wading the flats and weed beds and wondered why I had the entire lake to myself.

Only fish were one bream and one tailor, then a whopper stinking Long Tom which went like a cut cat

until I got him close, then he went for my wedding tackle again :1yikes:

Those buggers sure are aggressive when hooked.

All fish on live poddies again. I ran out of time as I wanted to try a bushy popper with rattles, so that's for another day.

Just too much fresh in there at the moment and will probably fire back up again after a few tide flushes.

Cheers,

Pete.

Hi guys I am unable to get out fishing this week on my days off (mon, tue) just wondering if anyone has been out after all this rain? and how was it? I noticed that the hawkesbury river was up a fair way at north richmond and I suspect that the river may be fishing well around brooklyn with the fresh pushing the fish closer to the mouth - flint and steel should be holding some good jewwies waiting for mullet etc you would think - likewise botany bay. I have caught some memorable catches over the years after heaps of rain, can anyone shed some light on whats happening or is everyone woosing out because of the conditions :074:

pete.

Gday Pete,

Went for a fish on sunday Arvo in middle harbour, the water conditions were very murky and there was alot of debris which is normally a good sign at "spot x". We hooked up 5 fish in about 30 mins. 1 rat king, 2 keeper bream and 2 small snapper. As quickly as the session seemed to open it was shut, we fished for about another 3 hours for nothing. I am heading down again tonight, I will post a report if anything good is caught.

Cheers

Went out Monday arvo for a bash, first run in 3 weeks and I just had to go no matter the conditions!

Goal was to run out to Longy for a snapper bash after the southerlys as soon as the swell dropped.

Conditions were very average at lunch time with a 2m swell and a metre of sea on top and we were the only boat out there. By the 5pm high the wind had backed off, sea calmed out and we were joined by a few more boats.

For a solid hour and a half the snappers went nuts! Near a bite a cast and 8 solid fish to 4kgs made it to the boat with many missed or dropped fish!

Water was pretty clear and was a magic 24 degrees. The brown water line was only out the front of bluefish area. Not much bait but plenty of birds just sitting.

Gee I love snapper fishing!

Greg