Harbour Today

Josh88

Headed out today from Roseville with a couple of mates, the water was the dirtiest ive ever seen, the surface just coated in leaves, sticks, rubbish you name it.

Started well picking up 3 squid in 3 casts, then it slowed a bit but we picked up half a dozen squid and a cuttlefish in not too long which is more productive than normal, when the squid went quiet we decided to go put some of the ones we had down.

Get to the spot, open the tank and 4 of the squid are already dead :mad3: so i was less than happy as i'd continually kept the pump going and it wasnt overcrowded in the tank, maybe the water or something...??

Our good starts continued as my mate hooked up on the first drop on the cuttlefish, only a little fella so back he went post-6719-1265861978_thumb.jpg

We kept getting hit on every drop for the next 10min or so and went through the majority of our squid and picked up a little soapy jew around 60cm which was a surprise but first harbour jew we've caught so was happy about that

post-6719-1265861992_thumb.jpg

I decided to try the way they bled the fish we caught in NZ which was to tie a tail rope around the fish, tie that rope to the rail and hang the fish over the side to let it bleed back into the water which is good for us not having a specific kill tank and not the biggest bait tank. So I put the fish over and about 10 seconds after i sit down....SPLASH ohh no you didnt the tail had slid through the loop but luckily the fish was dead and stayed on the surface so i quickly grabbed it and this time he went in the esky. Probably not the best idea with jews having paddle shaped tails, good with kings forked tails though.

The hits dropped off after that and the kings moved off, we did have a greedy bream hit one of the big squid baits and hook himself with an 8/0, tried a few more spots after that but it went a bit quiet, had another go at squid but they werent going to cooperate however i did manage to lose my 2 favourite yamashita jigs...$50 down the drain :mad3: still a reasonable day, awesome conditions and good being out there with mates.

Met Zenman back at the ramp, and had a chat, pretty sure i saw Next fly past us at some point, Greg were you out??

Cheers

Josh

Edited by Josh88

Nah not me Josh, I wish!

Sitting waiting for designers this morning over at the flat, the water look awesome with zero wind and a glassy surface, glad to hear someone got out and enjoyed the conditions!

It's been a while for me since a proper fishing trip. 1 trip in almost 4 weeks now! :thumbdown:

At least last trip we found the snappers again so fingers crossed we get a window of opportunity sometime over the weekend.

One good thing about being single, I get to go fishing on Sunday with out fear of getting them chopped off! :1prop:

Greg

sounds like u had a productive day out the reason fish will not stay alive or squid atm is because alot of fresh water sitting on the top atm from the rain so your bilge will be continuosly pumping less salty water in the tank which they dont like ive been having same problem atm keeping my fresh pilchards alive ive been catching,

Nah not me Josh, I wish!

Sitting waiting for designers this morning over at the flat, the water look awesome with zero wind and a glassy surface, glad to hear someone got out and enjoyed the conditions!

It's been a while for me since a proper fishing trip. 1 trip in almost 4 weeks now! :thumbdown:

At least last trip we found the snappers again so fingers crossed we get a window of opportunity sometime over the weekend.

One good thing about being single, I get to go fishing on Sunday with out fear of getting them chopped off! :1prop:

Greg

:074::074::074: CHOPPED OFF. :074::074::074: TO FUNNY

Nah not me Josh, I wish!

Greg

I wasnt sure, something contender shaped went past a fair distance away and it had something on the side of it, couldnt see if it said next or not :1prop:

Thanks mc fishn i thought the problem would be something like that, last time i went out a couple of weeks ago i had a similar problem where the squid died but the yakkas survived and the water wasnt very dirty, i think that may of had something to do with the pounding everything took getting through the heads that day :1prop:

Cheers

Josh