Soft Plastic Or Lure Options For Carp, Perch & Trout

camotec

Hi there.

I am fishing at Ben Chifley Dam and really only have saltwater type soft plastics and want to know some good options to catch some fish lol.

I did catch a tiny (15cm) red fin on a 65mm powerbait minnow (hot pink) but I think these are less than ideal. as it was one fish and the trout didn't even care about it when I had it right infront of its mouth.

PS: I am new to the whole fishing thing, so be gentle.

Cheers

Ben

Hi there.

I am fishing at Ben Chifley Dam and really only have saltwater type soft plastics and want to know some good options to catch some fish lol.

I did catch a tiny (15cm) red fin on a 65mm powerbait minnow (hot pink) but I think these are less than ideal. as it was one fish and the trout didn't even care about it when I had it right infront of its mouth.

PS: I am new to the whole fishing thing, so be gentle.

Cheers

Ben

I'm not an expert on fresh water fishing and have only caught a few bass with plastics but you cant go past something that is natural looking, berkley do have a wide range so try see what type of bait fish are in the system and mimic them in colour, also try different retrieve as sometimes fish will take a really aggressively presented lure and other times they like something a bit more slower which would suit a paddle tail type plastic.

Oh and go as light as possible in jig head thats something i have only just lernt but it has improved my catch rate by heaps

Good luck

pete

Hi Pete,

I will head down to my local BCF and find out if they know what baitfish are in there, I am sure they will know what the most freshwater plastics and lures they have sold a lot of too. I dont get to see many fishermen/women at Ben chifley as they all have boats and a long way from where I am standing (on the shore).

Hopefully the weather is good this weekend and I can go out for a days fishing.

I tried using smaller jig heads but I find I need the larger jig heads to cast out beyond the weed, I realise there is fish in the weed too but I spent a fair amount of time removing slime/algae from the the lure.

Thanks for the information, I was picking all the bright coloured lures/plastics (nuclear chicken anyone, got those more for flatties though) but that might be where my problem is.

Cheers

Ben

Edited by BezTheFisherKing

I fished the Dam out from Golbourne last year and chucked plenty of small placcy's around which out a nudge 2' shrimp, small curl tails, small minows etc etc. On one retrieve I hooked a small bait fish whiich i think is call a Galaxia??? of about 5cm long or so and is almost see through. Any how I happened to have some 'Fire Baits' in a clear pattern tied one on and had hits immediately from some good rainbows...hope it helps....maybe give some Tassie devils a whirl too...they are a hard body but plenty of trouties swear by them....but they didn't work for me, perhaps it was my technique.

But you are on the money with chatting with you local tackle shop...they will normally spill their beans and point you in the right dircetion of the fish providing you hand over some cash and walk out with some product....which I personally think is invaulable particlalry when you are fishing a brand new spot or trying something differnt.

I fished the Dam out from Golbourne last year and chucked plenty of small placcy's around which out a nudge 2' shrimp, small curl tails, small minows etc etc. On one retrieve I hooked a small bait fish whiich i think is call a Galaxia??? of about 5cm long or so and is almost see through. Any how I happened to have some 'Fire Baits' in a clear pattern tied one on and had hits immediately from some good rainbows...hope it helps....maybe give some Tassie devils a whirl too...they are a hard body but plenty of trouties swear by them....but they didn't work for me, perhaps it was my technique.

But you are on the money with chatting with you local tackle shop...they will normally spill their beans and point you in the right dircetion of the fish providing you hand over some cash and walk out with some product....which I personally think is invaulable particlalry when you are fishing a brand new spot or trying something differnt.

I did actually give a tassie devil a go but I also did not have much success but again most likely my technique also lol :)

You should try walkin out past the weeds and move around i would even suggest just spending a whole arvo walkin around the dam to find "fishy" spots

Maybe even look on online shop for an old kayak or somethin to get you into more places trust me it will be worth it :biggrin2:

You should try walkin out past the weeds and move around i would even suggest just spending a whole arvo walkin around the dam to find "fishy" spots

Maybe even look on online shop for an old kayak or somethin to get you into more places trust me it will be worth it :biggrin2:

I wash looking at a anglers stable kayak with cup holders and rod holders and storage up the wazoo (hey, you might as well get the comforts) and for $699, it would be great but I can't seem to bring myself to putting roof racks on the evo lol.

but yeah I found a lot of big fish in an outlet area, yellow fin and trout. But do you think I could get them on with Gulp or Lures. hell no, they were sitting right behind the lures looking at them and I am thinking... just jump on damnit! I think I need to use some live bait like worms etc. to get them on. I will try that next time.

Cheers

Ben

try some shallow running hardbodies, have them just swimming over the weed, you might some weed but if you keep it just above your in for a shot. if there's trout in the dam try a Brown trout or rainbow trout pattern. i like the predatek min mins and halco scorpians 52. im not an expert but these lures were the goods for me in the lakes NZ and were quite effective on the redfin population too. mix up your retrives, with twithces, slow rolling, pauses and the rest. but good luck with it all.

Hi

Spent a weekend looking for Bass on Talowa dam and after several fish less hours sighted some big carp cruising the shallows and having caught them before knew i was going to be out gunned on the gear i had.

I didn't want to sacrifice my hard bodies to them so i found these red 'wigglers' with gold tails and some pink 'fish' that i had never had much success with tucked away in the bottom of my bag...... these were suddenly my best lure as i spent the next few hours sight casting to big carp and they sucked them up like lollies. Make sure your spool is full cause if you hook a good one you might just need it!

Edited by softprawn