What Kind Of Boat?

JET01

Would love a few opinions on what sort of boat I should get next.

I live in the Cronulla area and have been fishing in a small 3.5m tinny and want to upgrade to something that will comfortably fish 3 soft plastics fisherman.

I would be doing most of my fishing in Port Hacking, Botany Bay, and on the Georges. On the odd occasion i'd also like to venture outside to the bombie when the conditions are right.

I'm thinking about spending $25,000

I've been toying with the idea of a Quintrex 470 Top ender with a 60hp engine, and bowmount electric.

I'd like to mainly use it for fishing, but on the odd occasion would like to pull a tube/donut, or ferry friends to sand bars/islands etc.

I do a lot of fishing by myself and would like to know how easy a boat this size will be to get on and off the trailer.... obviously not as easy as the 3.5m tinny. But will i bet able to hand winch in on/off or will it be a drive on/off situation?

Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.

Hi, a boat like you mentioned would be great for what you want to do but the budget would only allow very small HP and an old tec engine. You should also look at the Stacer Nomad range which offers a better ride due to having a deeper deadrise and having thicker material on new models than its brother Quintrex. That said the 479 Nomad MP is a bit over your budget too even with an old tech outboard so you might be looking for second hand boats. The other option and allow you a new rig within budget is the 468 Nomad Elite TS upgraded to a side console boat. A new Stacer 469 Nomad Elite with side console, good engine, Stacer trailer is priced is priced a little over budget but worth it to get a new rig.

PM me if you would like more details and the Raider price.

Cheers,

Huey.

i have a nomad elite 449 which is great for flicking plastics with 3 people, got it with elec motor bracket included and just installed leccy now its stealth, and i also have ventured around the heads a few times live baited for kings at north head not a problem at all, its a good versatile boat that can be used for a few different things, good luck with you searching i was looking for 6 months before i decided what to get, ended up going back to Craig at Huetts marine after viewing lots of other boats of all brands and for the money i reckon you get decent bang for your buck, anyway agin good luck, Lee.

i have a nomad elite 449 which is great for flicking plastics with 3 people, got it with elec motor bracket included and just installed leccy now its stealth, and i also have ventured around the heads a few times live baited for kings at north head not a problem at all, its a good versatile boat that can be used for a few different things, good luck with you searching i was looking for 6 months before i decided what to get, ended up going back to Craig at Huetts marine after viewing lots of other boats of all brands and for the money i reckon you get decent bang for your buck, anyway agin good luck, Lee.

thanks for all your opinions so far... I still haven't made a decision as to exactly what type of boat i'm going to get or if i'm going to go new or second hand.

Keep the opinions coming if there are more suggestions out there...

I'll be in touch with a few local boat showrooms over the weekend to see where to go from here... I need to see a few in the flesh first before taking the plunge.

I've been into a dealership and had a good look around a 470 Top Ender. I really liked it, but didn't like the small amount of space behind the skippers chair. I'm looking at a 2007 469 Nomad tomorrow, which seems to have the side console situated a little further forward. It seems like a plus to me, as they'd been more space for someone fishing from the stern.

With regards to the boat i'm looking at tomorrow...

I've had my mind set on getting a 60hp E-Tec, but have found a second hand (bloke quotes 2008 but add says 2007) 469 Stacer Nomad with a rear bench and 3 swivel chairs, with only 20hours on a 50hp Mercury.

With 3 80kg blokes in a boat, how much difference is the 10hp difference going to make when in open water?

I've only ever experienced a 15hp on the back of a 3.5m tinny, so i understand i'm taking a big step up. I just don't want to settle for something that is going to frustrate me in a few months when it's not doing what i want it to. Having to go through the upgrade process is just a hassle i don't really need.

Thanks again

I've been into a dealership and had a good look around a 470 Top Ender. I really liked it, but didn't like the small amount of space behind the skippers chair. I'm looking at a 2007 469 Nomad tomorrow, which seems to have the side console situated a little further forward. It seems like a plus to me, as they'd been more space for someone fishing from the stern.

With regards to the boat i'm looking at tomorrow...

I've had my mind set on getting a 60hp E-Tec, but have found a second hand (bloke quotes 2008 but add says 2007) 469 Stacer Nomad with a rear bench and 3 swivel chairs, with only 20hours on a 50hp Mercury.

With 3 80kg blokes in a boat, how much difference is the 10hp difference going to make when in open water?

I've only ever experienced a 15hp on the back of a 3.5m tinny, so i understand i'm taking a big step up. I just don't want to settle for something that is going to frustrate me in a few months when it's not doing what i want it to. Having to go through the upgrade process is just a hassle i don't really need.

Thanks again

Hi Jet, the carby 50HP Merc, which is what I am guessing is on her, is a powerful 50HP being the powerhead from the 60HP so I would think performance would be fine. One way to know for sure is to water test and if the price is right than the Nomad MP with this engine on it would be a great boat for what you want to do.

Cheers,

Huey.

I'd just like to thank everyone for the advice you've all so graciously provided.

I'm now the proud owned of a 2008 Stacer Nomad 269 with a 50hp 2stroke Mercury only 10 hours on the clock

Went for a fish this arvo in the Hacking with my best mate... Picked up an undersize flathead on a 3" Minnow in nuclear chicken and my mate picked up a few undersize snapper.

Boat goes really well and i'm stoked with how stable it was compared to our old tinny on the flat water and how it cut through the chop on the run out tide this arvo.

I'm going to need a hell of a lot of practice getting the boat on and off the trailer when i fish alone, as the jump in size is pretty big. The port-bow wind mate it too hard for me today and i eventually gave up and just winched it on.

I'm going to head out to botany bay tomorrow. If you're out there tomorrow give me a wave.

Thanks again.