Mono Question

Shan J

Hi All,

I have a question on using mono all the way to the hook.

I am using Penn Power Pro 10X line with a 10kg rating on a Okuma EB60. Rod is a Shimano Estuary TIp. (main set up, but have various other rod n reel combinations, all using mono only)

I always use mono right through either using a swivel and various rigs through to a running sinker to the hook rig.

My question is: am i missing anything by not using braid and connecting a mono leader? :15:

I catch my share of fish usually from within the brisbane waters.. But have used this combo of the rocks around the botany and the harbour with my usual average share.

If i was to use braid is it a pain to always join on a leader when you get caught up and loose your rig? Are there crimp tools that can do a suitable job or is this a hand tied job?

I have seen ways to join leaders and am willing to give it a go, but to what advantage do you all think this would be? Is it cast distance? Or is there more to it?

thanks

shan

Benefits of braid include significant casting distance, smaller line diameter, braid line doesn't develop a 'memory'. Braid line also floats and is very visible to the angler. Due to the low or non-stretch properties of braid you also get feel that is not possible with mono.

I've never heard of a crimping tool - all mono traces are tied with a knot or joined with a swivel.

Braid has the disadvantages of being expensive, requiring leaders and most noticeably, it has very low abrasion resistance - meaning bust-offs near structure where mono might land the fish.

You would only need a crimping tool & crimps when you are game fishing.

Your outfit does sound a bit heavy. What fish are you targeting?

You would have to tie a new leader with braid to leader if you bust off but that depends on what set up you are using.

Let us know more about your target species & I'm sure you will get all the info you need.

Cheers,

Grant.

G'day Shan,

Like a lot of things in fishing, there's not a right or wrong answer when comparing braid and mono. Each have advantages and disadvantages depending on what you're looking for in terms of how your line performs. The only reason most Raiders have probably switched to braid on at least some of their outfits is that for their circumstances, they've decided braid is the better choice for them.

The main benefits of braid (and fused braid) are:

- near-zero stretch which means you'll feel every twitch and bump on your line... particularly good when lure fishing or fishing in deep water.

- very thin for a given breaking strain so you can fit more on a reel, use heavier line on the reel, or (most commonly these days) use a smaller reel for the same application... braid is why people now regularly catch Yellowfin on spin rods for example. Thinner line also means you can cast a lot further.

- highly visible (depending on colour) which is great when working lures for bream and other species.

The main benefits of mono are

- it's much much cheaper... even for top quality mono.

- it's more abrasion resistant.

- you can tie rigs directly in it (although often leaders are still a good idea in mono in many circumstances)

- it's less visible to fish.

A lot of those advantages can be overcome by using leaders with braid but the cost and the abrasion resistance are important. If you don't want to spend a lot or are fishing in locations where you're likely to always be losing line, think about mono. Personally, I'd rather tie more knots and pay more for snags and fish more effectively (I do a lot of luring)... but that's a personal choice.

I'd advise borrowing an outfit or loading one spool with a top-shot of braid and going fishing with it. Only you can know whether it suits you or not and you really need to try it out before you can judge for yourself.

Cheers, Slinky