North Head Kingy Frustration

tentonner

Gday raiders

went out bright and early this morning from roseville and managed to pick up a few yakkas and slimeys from bantry bay so things were looking ok. No squid as usual but thats a different story. Head to North Head and see it is a carpark as usual. Anyway pick up a couple of small bonnies on the troll and then anchor up near the marker and deploy a couple of livies. Here comes my problem, the way i rig them i just use a running rig with one hook and pin the livie through the nose. I have tried two hook rigs like the sliding snell but they dont seem to let the bait swim as freely. ANyway the problem is that i could not convert one of the many hits i had this morning in to a fish. i left my overhead reels in freespool with the clicker on and when the drag started screaming i would lock it up in to strike drag and the fish would fall off.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to a better way to hook up on the buggers?

Gday raiders

went out bright and early this morning from roseville and managed to pick up a few yakkas and slimeys from bantry bay so things were looking ok. No squid as usual but thats a different story. Head to North Head and see it is a carpark as usual. Anyway pick up a couple of small bonnies on the troll and then anchor up near the marker and deploy a couple of livies. Here comes my problem, the way i rig them i just use a running rig with one hook and pin the livie through the nose. I have tried two hook rigs like the sliding snell but they dont seem to let the bait swim as freely. ANyway the problem is that i could not convert one of the many hits i had this morning in to a fish. i left my overhead reels in freespool with the clicker on and when the drag started screaming i would lock it up in to strike drag and the fish would fall off.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to a better way to hook up on the buggers?

one very good thing to do is fish with your drag set at strik (locked up) when the kings hit they hit hard and if they feel resistance they will drop it and there goes another good king.

Fish with your reel set at fighting drag. If you get hit by a big fish you certainly don't want your reel in freespool or let it get too much line for free. When i livebait for Kings i don't bother striking - the Kings hit hard and hook themselves. As others have already said - make sure you are using big strong hooks. I use between a 7/0 and 10/0 depending on how big my bait is and also where i am fishing. I wouldn't bother with a two hook rig either. Either hook em through the nose as you are doing already, or hook em through the back - either way will work.

Hope this helps

strike drag is what i always use..

kings hit hard and you will get bricked before ya know it if ya give em the chance..+

and like jim i dont need to set hook as they do it themselves,maybe im just a lazy bugger :074:

as for rig,i nearly always use an elastic band through eye/nose cavity..

predators hit yakkas head first due to their spikes and i rarely miss a hookup and is mostly in side of jaw due to running minimum 4kg strike pressure dep on reel/rod combo..

single hooks only needed with yakkas but other baits i use stinger setups most times..

hope this helps...

cheers....steve......

Kings will usually monster the whole bait rather than mouth it and muck around. We always fish at full fighting drag and leave the rod in the holder for the King to hook itself.

Are you sure they were Kings?

Edited by Cephalopod

dude - there are so many different schools of thought on this...

i like to let the fish run until i feel a secondary bump on the line - i believe that this is the fish swallowing the bait propoerly, as the first hit (with yakka/slimey) is when the king grabs it and runs away from his mates. when that second bump happens, it's the fish swallowing the bait right down. Employing this technique has seen my hook up rate go from 1 in 4 to almost 4 in 4. make sure your hook point is totally exposed when you bait up AND like roosterman said, make sure that your overhead is in strike drag OR has at least enough pressure to start setting the hook from the strike.

remember - big hook big fish, small hook ALL fish... don't be afraid to use 3/0 live bait hooks - they always seem to hit them mark!

when i used a single hook rig i didnt bother hooking through the nose of the live bait i would put the hook just next its top fin behind the head as ive noticed kings seem to attack the live yakkas side on/ from under neath, but now i just use a snell 2 hook setup one nose one on the back, weird i know but works for me :P besides i use the 2 hook snell for live squid too one works as a towing hook (nose / top of the squid hood) 2nd hook is usually what they end up hooking up on and thats about half way down the livey ( back of a yakka / end of the squid hood) and leaving a bit of line between the 2 hooks so its not tight and that all the towing is being done by the hook in the front the 2nd hook is merely a stinger and has no wait being put onto that hook.

Mate through the back is the best option by far as I have found that through the nose you loose mare than you catch. Be careful not to go to far into the body and spike the spine otherwise your yakka is as good as dead, Good luck

gday mate

as the other blokes have said kings hit baits pretty hard. Only pin them thru the nose if your trolling them or if the current is racing hard.

pin them thru the top of the shoulders, if using an offset hook make sure the offset is pointing upwards , not downwards. Yacca's dont need to be pinned very deeply, they have tough skin. Go alittle deeper on a slimy.

if you have plenty of livies, i run a stinger which is usually a small but strong trebble hook. Yes the baits arnt as mobile and dont last as long, but the trebble rarely misses. Just replace the livey when it dies.

I suspect you might have been getting harrassed by small bonnies at north head. They will attack anything.

was out and about monday arvo for a a landbased fish up around little manly

fishing live yakkas hooked up on a metre and a bit of 15kg mono trace running off a floaty down to 8kg mono

i too was duly frustrated after being busted off twice by quite large kingies, both kings took me on a run of a good 40-50 metres before busting me off at my float

any tips that may help me to land the prestige fish

cheers

was out and about monday arvo for a a landbased fish up around little manly

fishing live yakkas hooked up on a metre and a bit of 15kg mono trace running off a floaty down to 8kg mono

i too was duly frustrated after being busted off twice by quite large kingies, both kings took me on a run of a good 40-50 metres before busting me off at my float

any tips that may help me to land the prestige fish

cheers

up ya leader mate, id be usin 50lb braid and 80lb leader for big kings, what gear ya usin?

rod reel?

Yes, i agree with ImDale,

Im using 40lb line with 80lb leader, that way it wont bust as easy.

Kings tend to hit hard, so be ready and let it take your some line before trying to reel it in.

Also use size 7 or above Gami Hooks if your using yakkas/slimies, and hook em in the back but not too deep in the body. I have never gone wrong with hooking them in the back (i guess its the best way) but others may disagree and have other tactics.

Has any one had any descent king catches these? Haven't they all disappeared?

if not, will be out this weekend.

hooked em both on a 7ft rod and quite oldschool reel workes perfectly but and holds good 250m of .50 line

only running a 50lb leader i guess, prob haave to upgrade this to 80lb

have caught them only on 15lb before but i guess it was just my lucky day i thought 50lb would secure my fish

anyways cheers for the advise

dude - there are so many different schools of thought on this...

i like to let the fish run until i feel a secondary bump on the line - i believe that this is the fish swallowing the bait propoerly, as the first hit (with yakka/slimey) is when the king grabs it and runs away from his mates. when that second bump happens, it's the fish swallowing the bait right down. Employing this technique has seen my hook up rate go from 1 in 4 to almost 4 in 4. make sure your hook point is totally exposed when you bait up AND like roosterman said, make sure that your overhead is in strike drag OR has at least enough pressure to start setting the hook from the strike.

remember - big hook big fish, small hook ALL fish... don't be afraid to use 3/0 live bait hooks - they always seem to hit them mark!

3/0 live baiting????

Letting a king run????

i dont know but i think your fishing for whiting..... not kings