Jewfecta!

tide'n'knots

gday raiders, hit the harbour for a jew session last night and had mixed success! I arrived at the spot right on 7pm and by 5 past 7 one of the rods buckled and I was on to a nice schooly just under 70cm and I thought oh yeah what a start!

post-8689-126871744496_thumb.jpeg

5mins later another rod buckled over and I grabbed it from the rod holder struck and came up solid on what felt like a similar size fish but a few seconds later it spat the hook - DAMN! strike 1. After rebaiting the rods I had just sat back in the seat when the third rod buckled, but by the time I reacted to grab the rod it sprang back up and dropped the bait - strike 2! Things went a little quite for an hour or so then another rod buckled and I struck hard into a very solid fish that felt as though it was a fair bit bigger than the first one and then- oh no!! it spat the hook AGAIN!!! strike 3 !! :ranting2: twice more during the night the rod buckled and sprung back up without the fish fully taking the bait or getting hooked and again for the 3rd time I hooked a fish to have it drop the hooks, that made 6 missed in total!

I finally landed 2 more smaller jew around the 50cm mark later in the night as a consolation prize as well as 2 bream a flathead and a very big blue swimmer crab

The final result was 3 jew but 6 missed and a successful but very frustrating trip! :thumbup::1badmood:post-8689-126871718457_thumb.jpeg

the entire catch.

pete.

Nice catch there Pete, glad to see you gettin into a few. Thanks for the PM.

no worries pete I will give you a buzz soon and tee up a session - next week is out due to other commitments but the week after looks a possibility at this stage if your free.

pete.

Sounds like an eventful night - well done with the jewfecta :1worthy:, pity about the dropped hooks. :1crybaby: Your jew hole must have some good resident jewies or their schools travel through the area consistently.

I think the fish travel through this particular area in schools like travelling up and down a highway. The way the action was when I first arrived seemed very much like a school that just passed through.

pete.

Nice one Pete! Shame about the hits & misses! :1badmood: But you still ended up with a pretty good haul that will keep you in fish & chips for some time to come!!!

Well done

Roberta

gday roberta, I didnt know weather to laugh or cry, it was soooo damn frustrating particularly after dropping the second fish that felt like a good one!

pete

Great session Pete. Looks like the Autumn run has well & truly started. :thumbup:

Have you tried going over to circle hooks? When the fish takes off with the bait the hook pins them in the side of the jaw most of the time.

I've been using them almost exclusively with Slinky since moving up here & the hookup rate is very good. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

Great session Pete. Looks like the Autumn run has well & truly started. :thumbup:

Have you tried going over to circle hooks? When the fish takes off with the bait the hook pins them in the side of the jaw most of the time.

I've been using them almost exclusively with Slinky since moving up here & the hookup rate is very good. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

gday grant - I do have some circle hooks that Roberta gave me some time ago, after last nights episode I think I will be using them!

pete

I think the fish travel through this particular area in schools like travelling up and down a highway. The way the action was when I first arrived seemed very much like a school that just passed through.

pete.

Pete - have you tried soft plastics in the same location?

pitty about the missed hookups but it sounded like a great result overall....

its always a bugger running over the fishing trip trying to figure out the things that went wrong etc..

what baits and hook setup were you using pete....

if the school was moving through real quick it coulda been reason especially if lots of other options of bait around..

ahhhhhh sometimes its best to just think its just one of those nights...

well done again.:thumbup:

cheers.....steve.....

YOU ARE JUST JEW GOOD PETE :yahoo: I CANT WAIT TO YOU GET YOUR TROPHY ONE

How many rods did you have out at once? Maybe just cut down to 3 rods if your on your own and you wont have as many misses. Im no expert just a suggestion mate.

CHEERS

Lumpookey

Edited by LUMPOOKEY

Well done Pete on the JEWFECTOR.

I had a feeling that you may be out there.

Not like you mate to miss a hook up - must have been still feeling the after effects of Parramattas loss the other night :074:

Twin 1

Im a panthers supporter marcel - and I picked st george!!

I tried to give you a ring but couldnt get through.

pete.

pitty about the missed hookups but it sounded like a great result overall....

its always a bugger running over the fishing trip trying to figure out the things that went wrong etc..

what baits and hook setup were you using pete....

if the school was moving through real quick it coulda been reason especially if lots of other options of bait around..

ahhhhhh sometimes its best to just think its just one of those nights...

well done again.:thumbup:

cheers.....steve.....

I was using a double hook setup with squid - one through the top of the hood and the other through the bottom of the hood coming out through the head, usually works well but for some reason it just wasnt a happening thing last night!

pete.

YOU ARE JUST JEW GOOD PETE :yahoo: I CANT WAIT TO YOU GET YOUR TROPHY ONE

How many rods did you have out at once? Maybe just cut down to 3 rods if your on your own and you wont have as many misses. Im no expert just a suggestion mate.

CHEERS

Lumpookey

gday ray, cutting down on rods wouldnt have made a difference mate as they dropped it before I had time to grab it from the rod holder and for some reason when I did get the chance to set the hook on 3 occassions they must have just lipped the fish and not penetrated properly. One thing that i have noticed is the fish at this spot quite often take the bait very tentatively and I have only caught a couple that have taken the bait in a positive solid run. 2 of the fish caught there have been foul hooked which suggests that they are only mouthing and not swallowing the bait.

I might rethink my methods next time and try 1 rod on a light drag and let it run???I usually dont like fishing for jew this way but these jew are making me rethink. THe current doesnt run anywhere near as hard as the hawkesbury so maybe this could be part of the reason also. I am also going to try circle hooks next time.

pete.

Nice effort on the jewfish Pete. I don't like the sound of missing too many runs tho.

There'll be some good size jew fish around this Autumn, and I reckon it might pay to have bigger squid baits out on 10/0s and double up the fillets back to back.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi Pete,

Solid effort there mate!

You said last time we spoke they would be up there - good fishing.

I have stuck with the kings lately and given up on jews until the kings drop off.

You should head over this way next week for a kingie session.

Mike

Hey Pete,

Nice lookin Jewies, I read you fish Lane Cove River?

I fish LB in that same area, we have hooked and dropped about 6 Jewies on LC within 5m from shore on Bream gear in the last 3 or 4 outings, find getting dusted fairly often too not only by the Jew, also the big Bream are right in among the structure (wharves, moored boats and anywhere there is cover)

Tried with heavier gear (20 and 30lb) but they are very finnicky and prefer a lighter leader.

Seem the Bream are also prolific there too, but loads of throwbacks with the bigger models, been up to 40cm pulled out recently on 8lb gear with unweighted squid strips and bread or pillie strips.

... Cannot wait til Thursday give em another shot.