Rust In Trailer

mark10187

if its only surface rust, basically sand back to metal put on some rust protector and possibly paint it again if it is painted there was this really good stuff last time i was at the auto paints shop for rust which i bought for my project car that had a bit of rust :P i think it like $15 or something for 200ml but basically only needed few drops, and no it wasn't fish oil either i will look it up for you and get back to you on the rust protector but basically just sand back n treat it and seal it with a coat of paint.

if it is more serious than surface rust it will require cutting and welding or replacing the whole peice

if its only surface rust, basically sand back to metal put on some rust protector and possibly paint it again if it is painted there was this really good stuff last time i was at the auto paints shop for rust which i bought for my project car that had a bit of rust tongue.gif i think it like $15 or something for 200ml but basically only needed few drops, and no it wasn't fish oil either i will look it up for you and get back to you on the rust protector but basically just sand back n treat it and seal it with a coat of paint.

if it is more serious than surface rust it will require cutting and welding or replacing the whole peice

I think you mean POR15 - you just sand back the rust, clean it up with wax and grease remover and paint it on straight over (brush or spray) - it dries rock hard... but you must top coat with regular paint (acrylic, enamel or two pack) within 24 hours. POR 15 is UV senistive. Great stuff. Used it on my kombi but as it was under the windscreen seal and not exposed to lioght, I didn't need to top coat.

Baz

The troble is it's probably rusting on the inside as well!

You are probably right, which reminds me... a neighbour of mine years ago, who was a boilermaker by trade and he made his own boat trailers. He used fill the rhs(?) tubes up with fish oil (or it might have been sump oil) and seal the ends. Don't think he ever had rust issues.

Baz

I've used "Kill Rust" which is a two or three part process. Works like a dream. If the rust is a little deeper then surface rust you can hit it with a wire brush or even a grinder before using KillRust. There are a few different other brands on the market also. Your local Bunnings should have this covered.

Eddie