First Ever Bonnies And Mix Bag 17/3/10

rf4@aapt.net.au

The forecast looked so good I just had to get out there and have a crack, put in at 6am and headed straight out to get some livies, this was easy and soon had enough for our needs in the live bait tank, there were that many around we ended up not even needing any burley to get them to jump on the bait jigs!! :thumbup:

Had a quick look around Shark Island for any signs of Kingies but nothing on the sounder so headed out to get some flatties off Jibbon Bommie, there were that many small fish around that the baits got hit every time we hit the bottom :wacko: stayed for 3/4 hr and only managed 1 decent Flttie 47cm.

Decided to throw a few Christmas Trees out the back and cruise down the coast off National Park, never having tried this much didn't hold out much hope, but the seas were as flat as I have ever had out there and was very relaxing. No sooner had we got within 50m of the cliffs that great sound every fisherman loves to hear zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz as one of the overheads went screaming off, had heard that the Bonito were around so suspected it was one, and as it got to the boat and started to do doughnuts confirmed this, beauty we thought our first Bonito and some sushi for dinner :thumbup: and this would also keep the :wife: happy. After thinking that we did OK with this one we continued heading South only to be smashed time after time, we could even watch the buggers jumping out of the water attacking the xmas trees like they were mini Marlin!!! was pretty cool to watch :yahoo: Eneded up keeping 8 Bonnies all around the same size 40cm mark.

Finally got to our X marks the spot for big Flathead and settled in for a relaxing fish in the sun, the weather was that good we could have happily had a few :beersmile: out there!! Seemed like the small fish had followed us as we pulled up at least 40-50 small flatties which all went straight back to grow up for us in a few years, after a few moves we managed to catch some decent Flatties with the biggest going 62cm, and in the mix we also got Letherjacket & Deep Sea Whiting (first for me off Sydney)

On the way back to the Hacking we came across fish jumping out of the water, which I think must have been more Bonito, so we stopped to have a look and they were chasing schools of yellowtail on the surface all around the 30cm mark, thousands of them, this was another first for me as I have never seen schools like this on the surface before, and they stayed there, they were that thick I swear you could have walked on water and they would have carried you along :1yikes: even when I put the boat in the middle of them they just swarmed around the boat, could have just grabbed them stright off the surface.

Anyway, it was a day of firsts and beatiful weather with a bag of fish who would ever wanna go to work :1badmood:

Edited by 600C