Oh What A Luckless Night

JayKay

Hi all,

went out last night (19/3) in the little tinnie for a few hours. We launched from Cabarita at low tide armed with prawns, mullet and pillies at around 7pm. we tried a couple of holes along the river towards gladesville for zip using all baits and all depths. We had a feeling it was going to be a good night as the wind completely died down and it was on a rising tide. But nall we could manage is small taylor. did anyone else go out last night in sydney harbour/parra river? if so, how did you go? I think, I'm doing something wrong, but i just cant put my finger on it.

If i could ask a question, what sort of baits do raiders use/prefer when river fishing in say 10-20mtre depths and what rigs do you use (sinker bottom, running sinker with a swivel) etc? Also, what burley is being used? any help would be appreciated.

JayKay

If i could ask a question, what sort of baits do raiders use/prefer when river fishing in say 10-20mtre depths

This depends on what you are fishing for - you can use live bait, dead baits, fresh is best in most circumstances

and what rigs do you use (sinker bottom, running sinker with a swivel) etc?

Depends on the depth you want and the speed of the current

Also, what burley is being used? any help would be appreciated.

just about anything: minced up old bait/fish scraps, cat food, chook pellets, tuna oil or a combination of all of the above!

Most people make it up in batches and freeze smaller amounts for use.

Hope this helps

JayKay,

I was out there last night landbased... we did not have a great deal of luck except for a good sized bream that did not make it to the surface shook the hook but thats fishing.

I am not a real experienced fisherman from the boat.

By my little experperience I have the baits you were using would have done the job if the fish were around.

Its just a matter of being in the right place at the right time usually in the Parra river its fairly good leading up to the high tide it then quietens down till the tide starts to run so what I would be doing is looking for the holes and stick them out over the tide change and I believe you will produce a fish as long as your baits are deep...

The rig does not have to be complicated as you are in a boat a running sinker to a swivel is all that you need baring in mind that you will have to adjust the sinker according to conditions......

Sounds like you are having a run just like me always out there un-able to land a fish hahahahaha hang in there pal and the results will come your way.....

Look forward to seeing your results....

Regards,

Nathan :1fishing1:

a friend of mine went out last night,he was around shark island/clifton gardens.he also said it was a little quiet,but he still managed some deacent bream,anyway you gotta persist and try yabbies,theyre very affective.

a friend of mine went out last night,he was around shark island/clifton gardens.he also said it was a little quiet,but he still managed some deacent bream,anyway you gotta persist and try yabbies,theyre very affective.

Thanks guys for all the help. will have to just give it another go and see what happens next time. :biggrin2:

Also, does any know where we can pump nippers in parra river and are you allowed???

JayKay

Thats it Kay Jay get out there and keep getting out there that's what It's all about...

If you can allready find the holes you are on the right track might even wanna try a livie from time to time as for the nippers dont really have any idea but I would be looking around Iron cove under the bridge to catch mullet and keeping them alive using a aerator then see how you go plus throw in a few dead baits also.....

also a key point to remember is that you cant keep them between 15cm to 30cm but you should manage the catch a few 10 cm ones no worries with the smallest hook you can find probably a long shank style with a bit of bread.

If you can catch the bigger models they will go very well as a dead bait also...

The mullet you were using on your trip were they freshly caught or bought????

REGARDS,

NATHAN