Mackrel In Hacking

rodd33

i here thers plenty of mackrel in the hacking, heading out early tomorrow, just wondering if any bodys got on 2 some, and what bait/lures are working best, here ther around gymrea bay baths and in south west arm, wouldnt mind a bit of fun inside..cheers rod

If you're referring to the frigate mackerel... Those are the most pickiest fish I've ever targetted... They absolutely ignore all lures and all baits. They come up so close you could pretty much touch them with a landing net.

They're like chasing the most minuscule things in the water. Probably plankton...

Slimy macks are around somewhere... dunno whereabouts, all I know is they're low in numbers. Caught a few small ones at Yowie Bay.

not sure what type, just got told through a customer at work that his mate was jigging in sth west arm , nearly got spooled on 4 pound line, had 2 cut it b4 he did, changed up 2 heavier gear and had a great time. but it was deffinetly mackrel

Edited by rodd33

Slimeys havn't been showing up in numbers like last year. Finding it really hard to target them and i dont think any mackerel could spool your mate which is in the hacking.

Unless they were really really big.

Frigates, mack tuna and slimeys all run hard but they dont hav stamina... let em run 20-30 max 50 metres and they're buggered

Doubt the fish that took the line off that reel is mackerel

Unless it was a very big mack tuna, don't know what else would spool you like that.. unless your talking about the spotted and spanish varieties, but that would be a big surprise.

Question is, what was your mate doing, "jigging" with 4lb line?