Lord Howe Trip

damobows

Hi people,

Was wondering if anyone has been to LHI as I'm heading there soon and I can't find the length restrictions on the QANTAS link site and can't get in contact with anyone there!!I know luggage is 14kg but rod length???

I can't find a 2 piece spinning rod in th 10-15kg division (I'll rephrase that "a reasonably priced one") for the life of me so I was hoping to take a 7" stick that I have.

Would appreeciate any info

Cheers

Damo

Usually it is 7ft total length of tube but I have taken single piece 7ft rods in tube before so total length would be 7'2".....

Qantas and Virgin are pretty good, it's usually the small prop planes that are strict.

Greg

Hi people,

Was wondering if anyone has been to LHI as I'm heading there soon and I can't find the length restrictions on the QANTAS link site and can't get in contact with anyone there!!I know luggage is 14kg but rod length???

I can't find a 2 piece spinning rod in th 10-15kg division (I'll rephrase that "a reasonably priced one") for the life of me so I was hoping to take a 7" stick that I have.

Would appreeciate any info

Cheers

Damo

Mate I also searched around a bit for a 10 to 15 kg traveller(doesnt seem to be a great deal of choice) and ended up with the Nitro Godzilla Spin 2 piece 7 foot & 10 to 15kg - great rod as a take away allrounder, good to troll lures, cast poppers or light jigging etc. Downside is they dont give em away lol. Have a look at one if you can.

Cheers Blood Knot

Back in '91, I took my 10/15kg game rod (Fuji runners/roller tips/straight butt) that I built up on JS980X blank. This rod would be about 6'1" I think and so the tube was a lttle longer. Had no problems and it did the job. I don't think you need a longer rod in a boat. I also took a 7ft (ish) 4-6kg spin stick, which I built on a Butterworth Superbarra blank and later cut to two-piece for backpacking - that handled the kings, too (although I did get busted off a few times...!). There are plenty of rods that will do the job.

I think the majority of the flights from Sydney are on Dash 8's. The smaller planes like Cessnas and Pipers, e.g. out of Port Macquarie, would be more restrictive.

I posted a bunch of lures and other stuff ahead to collect from the PO when I got there, to free up room in my luggage. If you choose this option, remember that mail other than letters goes by ship and there is only one ship every two weeks, so you need to allow 21 days. The ship has a 6-week layover twice a year (dry-dock), too. There is no air-mail option but if you pay the extra for Express Post you can get it on a plane. However, the airlines sometimes offload mail, particularly in peak periods and in heavy weather to give priority to fuel, passengers and perishables. They'll get it on a flight later in the week but you need to allow extra time for letters and Express Post as well.

You are going to have a great time. LHI is a wonderful place.

Baz

Baz

I was there Easter last year and flew Qantas out of Sydney and had a 7ft 2in rod tube with no problems. You are only allowed 1 piece of check in baggage per passenger but the rod tube is not counted.

Regards Kit

ps its a fantastic place...enjoy

Edited by cruisecraft