New Obsession

Luringbream

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone is experienced in the field of extracting freshwater species(bass,redfin) and placing them in your own tank.

Some tips would be greatful, My tank is 100x60x60..

Since they are freshwater species, i'm guessing that i will only require an aerator and maybe a filter.

Will i need to take into consideration water temp, turbidity, PH and subrates or don't these have a great affect on the fishes' survival..

Anyhow any help is greatly appreciated

DAN

Hi DAN

Yeah go for it. You will need a fairly big filter for a tank that size. I have one on my tank that pumps 240 litres per hour, and it's only a 2 foot tank.

I'm no expert on this, but I have collected mosquito fish before and put them in a tank and they survived (until my axolotl ate them, that is).

Just have a good filter, give a fresh supply of water every few weeks, and use a water conditioner before adding new water to the tank and you'll probably be alright. If not, try again and do everything the opposite of what I just said!

Cheers

Tim

Gday Dan

I now have had a Bass for about 12 months and recently returned my EP back to the river and the Bass has been extremely hardy and easy to feed. Temp is not an issue just not to hot in the summer. Ph and substrates are an issue with all fish just get a basic test kit and let your tank settle for a while.

There are some great filters around see if you can get a BIO filter and run it with some cheap gold fish just to get the bacterial waste breakdown going. Fed your Bass earth worms, cockroachs, mosquito fish just chuck a few in and they live until they get smashed.

they also need some structure or cover in the tank iot gives them somewhere to go when they get stressed or ambush thier food.

I hope this helps

Give me a yell if your need any more info

Capt S :1fishing1:

hi there luringbream. one thing with the redfin its a no no to keep them . :1yikes: one part of the fisheries.....

as a consequence redfin should not be returned to the water if caught. it is also an offence to translocate them from one site to another and strict penalties apply . :biggrin2: