Lure Painting

Big-Pete

Hi Everyone,

just thought I might put up photo's of my new hobby of lure painting, I started hand making lures on and off years ago, make that many years ago and just recently I found a DVD on a US site that showed how to airbrush them. So I gave it a go and I am really liking it.So I thought that you might like to see some of my work its early days yet but as I said I like it and as they say the sky is the limit. I buy the unpainted lures from the US in case you were wondering.

Big-Pete

post-74-127037012217_thumb.jpg

Edited by Big-Pete

Give it a go it's all good fun I did another six this afternoon, I am working on a good mullet imitation for flaties and what ever else takes them. I just hope they don't scratch the paint work lol.

The paint I use is water based nail paint, just hit it with a hair dryer between coats and all is good.

Big-Pete

Edited by Big-Pete

Hi Breambucket,

I bought my double action airbrush from Hong Kong off online shop it was pretty expensive, about $30.00 :biggrin2: and the nail paint is from there as well.I didn't want to spend to much money in case it didn't work out.

Big-Pete.

http://www.sparmax.com.tw/airbrushes.html

I've got the SP-35. Cost me around $175 from an airbrush night at my model shop. (One of the guys does professional models for museums etc, and does regular demo nights and private lessons)

And I've got a Sparmax AC-27 compressor, that was about $250.

Not a cheap hobby, but hey, neither is fishing :1prop:

The Sparmax airbrushes are completely rebuildable and I pull mine apart after every good session - or if it's getting left for a few days. otherwise I just flush thinners through it in between colours. Bit tricky to learn, but anyone can do it.

You can use a car tyre as your air supply, or the compressor that I use cost me about $65.00 it is 1/6 hp and I use about 25psi.

Do a search for lure painting dvds I dont think there are to many out there.

Big-Pete

PS sorry about mentioning the online shop.

Nail polish/paint would be the best to use. the model paints I use tend to scratch off pretty easilly. Especially the matt colours.

You can also get spray pack clear coats too, about $7 for a can that lasts me 3 or so planes, so you should be able to get a million lures out of it :thumbup:

If you really want to get into it, there's a brilliant book- Airbrush: The Complete Studio Handbook, by Radu Vero - It takes you right through from basic straight line excersizes, to doing a lifelike mural.

• 3 weeks later...

guys if your getting into Airbrushing the best and most reliable airbrush is an Iwata airbrush i use them to paint my RC Car Bodies :) and other Models etc.. :)

for example:

4913_1172268231297_1365758966_482033_2129839_n.jpg

and

4913_1172267831287_1365758966_482023_7693228_n.jpg

you can buy a decent iwata airbrush for around $80-100 pm me if your in and around sydney and want to buy one i can point you into the right direction on where to get a good one :D

• 1 month later...

TheAlby,

I coat the lures with 30 min Epoxy which dries hard and clear so there is no problem with scratching, and if they do get scratched it just adds to the character of the lure.

Big-Pete :1fishing1: