Preparing For The Pirtek Challenge This Sunday

wttmrwolf

Hi Fellow Fisherfolk,

Disclaimer - I'm not completely crazy in preparing for this weekends comp. Its just more fun preparing gear than watching Desperate Housewive with the :wife:. I thought a little preparation couldn't go astray.

Lets start with the target species for NSW. For lack of a better place to start this is my guess at the list of species.

Flathead

Whiting

Bream

Bass

FLATHEAD

I'm going to drift the estury channel on Low tide prospecting ahead of the drift using 7" Jerk shads and dragging fresh mullet strips on a modified paternoster rig behind the boat. Might try trolling hard bodies if above technique isn't finding any flathead. On the high tide head offshore and do the same.

WHITING

Collect fresh worms and nippers on the low and cast out bait on long shank hooks on the high over the flats.

BREAM

Not much experience here but might try 2" prawn GULP soft plastics and small diving hard bodies around structure as I cruise around looking for flathead. Also might try live nippers if I have some left after the whiting attempts.

How is everyone else going with the preparations. :1prop:

basically same deal for me i use SP's for flatties as well as squid strips ill have one on either corner of the boat whiting is simple with "wrigglers/squirt worms" and long shank hook georges river seem to produce a heap of whiting lately ill let my wife fish for them lol shes got good luck with them bream well worms work well for them too i havnt managed many bream on sp's or blades but they did seem interested in the berkley MF50's so did a few flathead but nothing sizable. been going at it for few weeks now it seems i've found a few places for the bream, flathead i just do my usuall drift along sand flats usually produces a few decent sized flatty's

I on my hand, hope that Coles has "cheap" Raw Prawns. For the price of a Berkley Plastic Bag, I should get about 500g.

They work a treat for Flatheads and Breams. Just have to make sure they don't land in the pan of the :wife: who

thinks I am crazy buying prawns for fishing that are meant to be eaten.

By the way, I only buy Wild Caught Australian prawns, no wannamei. Only the best for bait !!