A Day In The Georges With A Novice

Hi raiders. Yesterday I took Bassboy888 and his mate Brent (a novice fisherman) out on the boat and as it was quite windy we decided to stick to the Georges River to chase bream and flatties. Brent has not done much fishing and his largest flattie to date was less than 20cm.

We had a relatively early start with the boat in the water at 6:30am and we headed immediately to a location near Como that has regularly produced flatties for me. The morning started very slowly as we fished the incoming tide. We were fishing plastics on to the flats and down some good drop offs but all we caught were a couple of small tailor and bream. Brent caught a cople of small but fiesty tailor to wet his appetite.

We then decided to head to Lugarno to try the last of the run in and the slack tide. We had a couple of good hits casting onto some flats and into the mangroves with SPs and pencils. Bassboy888 hooked an excellent bream that attacked his pencil in less than a foot of water amongst the mangroves. We saw the dorsal fin of the bream that must have been over 35cm as it hit his lure, unfortunately after a good fight it threw the hooks just short of the boat. Luckily Brent had better luck, he hooked a nice flattie whilst casting a gold SP bug onto some shallow flats. As a novice he fought the fish well and was rewarded with a PB flattie of 34cm :thumbup:

post-12960-127121710134_thumb.jpg

Whilst Brent and Bassboy888 were working the flats I was working the deeper channel on the other side of the boat (I had to point the boat away from the flats with the electric to keep us being blown into the mangroves). I was using blades and larger SPs (80 - 120cm shads and flickbaits)for a couple of small bumps but no hookups.

During the slack tide it went quiet so we move to a hole near Lugarno where we generally get EPs and Bream during winter. Just as the tide started to run out I was casting a MF40 SP down a steep drop off to be rewarded with a decent strike and after an enjoyable fight I was surprised by a healthy and fat 29cm EP:

post-12960-127121597636_thumb.jpg

We could see fish schooled on the sounder as we continued to cast MF40s down the drop off. I then caught another 21cm EP and then Bassboy888 hooked another decent fish. As he fought it to the boat with a couple of powerful runs back towards the rocky drop off we called it for another EP. As we got it too the boat we were delighted to see it was a healthy and fat bream of 27cm:

post-12960-127121631872_thumb.jpg

No more fish we pulled from this hole as the current got too strong to keep the lures in the strike zone.....but I am very glad the EPs are back and make a concerted effort to bet my PB this winter.

With the tide running out quickly and the wind picking up (despite the BoM prediction of the wind abating in the arvo) we moved to try for some flatties on the flats so that Brent could better his recent PB.

We moved to some flats near Como where a combination of the wind, tide and electric could allow us to effectively work the area. This is one of my favorite locations for big flatties during run out tides and it worked. Brent hooked excellent fish and after an exciting struggle he bet his recent PB for a flattie by over 14cm. This 51cm flattie is now his PB :1yikes:

post-12960-127121752407_thumb.jpg

post-12960-127121755225_thumb.jpg

We continued to work the flats around Como during the last of the run out and the start of the run in for lots of small flatties (15 - 25cm) and a couple of small whiting. It was a great day for Brent despite the wind and he now has a flattie PB that he can be proud of.

As we fished our way back to the boat ramp I also took the time to finally get a photo of me fishing in my blue Stessco Bass Tracker 420 :biggrin2:

post-12960-127121790551_thumb.jpg

great read basscatcher & some nice fish landed.so you didnt target the jew that day?well done on a good session & getting a newby fisho a pb.hope to read of some jew caught in your posts soon.maybe i can join you if you need some company?i havnt had much experience on fishing lures on boats & would love to give it a go.

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

Edited by fisher doi

Havn't caught an Ep since last year , good to know they are around at the moment , thanks for sharing the info mate much appreciated :thumbup: . Will have to make the effort to do a few night sessions for them in the Georges im only a couple mins from pinic point boatramp and should be able to find them again this year , fingers crossed .

Bubba

I've seen you on the Georges b4, near the board walk next to Lambeth, I've got the same boat as you with a 40 yammie on the back... they're a great rig mate.

iMick - yep I remember seeing you near Lambeth last year. I have towed my rig upto Central QLD and back fishing the Bass and Barra impoundments and it performed really well throughout.

Nice work mate, :)

Those flattie's seem skinny ? or is it just me

cut_loose, you are right the all of the flatties were on the skinny side, especially compared to the flatties I have been catching in Woolooware Bay.

Great read, Basscatcher. Sounds like a good session with some PBs for your crew, finding the EPs early and a lot of diversity to provide some entertainment.

Nice rig too.

Cheers, Slinky

Slinky, thanks for the comments. It was a great experience taking a novice out and teaching him how to use SPs and getting him onto some quality flatties.