Trim & Tilt Continued

kingpig

Hi people.

Some would already know that i have been having problems with the tilt and trim on my 2001 evinrude 115hp motor. I determined that the issue was in the tilt system itself somewhere and the best method to work on this was to remove the whole unit from the motor and work on it on a bench. This was not that hard to do.

When i removed it i found a small earth strap running from the engine mounting bracket under one of the bolts holding the tilt motor. This strap was completelt burned through and had blackened the paint on the back of the tilt motor. The winding of the tilt motor is also black and burned when i pulled it apart.

I have another tilt motor to install thanks to Huett Marine.

Somehow the main earth from the engine must be running through this small earth cable. Has anyone got any experience with this?

Cheers Kingpig

Hi people.

Some would already know that i have been having problems with the tilt and trim on my 2001 evinrude 115hp motor. I determined that the issue was in the tilt system itself somewhere and the best method to work on this was to remove the whole unit from the motor and work on it on a bench. This was not that hard to do.

When i removed it i found a small earth strap running from the engine mounting bracket under one of the bolts holding the tilt motor. This strap was completelt burned through and had blackened the paint on the back of the tilt motor. The winding of the tilt motor is also black and burned when i pulled it apart.

I have another tilt motor to install thanks to Huett Marine.

Somehow the main earth from the engine must be running through this small earth cable. Has anyone got any experience with this?

Cheers Kingpig

Hi Kingpin, good to hear the replacement P/T/T part worked and no the earth wire you are refering to does not carry the the whole earth soruce for the outboard.

Cheers,

Huey.

PS- I hope you do not have wing nuts on your battery-do you?

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine