Deepwater Jigging

Zdenk01

Hi Raiders,

Long time reader 1st time poster

I have to say this site is great. I read the posts everyday wishing I was out there.

But like most of us work gets in the way.

Has anyone been jigging or planning too.

Just wondering what you guys find that works eg. brands of line & jigs

Im planning on using 50-80lb braid 100-130lb leader (is this overkill)

200-300g jigs

I am planning on giving it a go next month

I hear this is the most brutal form of fishing for the angler

where are you planning of jigging mate? what depth?

a 300 gram jig is big, but saying that ive had hungry rats hit them many times off the peak. Jigging is great but sometimes the current is running fast and its difficult to get a jig to the bottom. It helps if you have someone driving the boat in the direction of the a current so you get a nice straight line all the way down!, normally a crank in reverse should do the trick every so often.

50Pbraid is heavy, I like 3 braid with a 80P leader, although this is considered light and a big king will give you heaps but if your gear is tough and your confident with your knots then i recon youll be fine.

Good luck

where are you planning of jigging mate? what depth?

a 300 gram jig is big, but saying that ive had hungry rats hit them many times off the peak. Jigging is great but sometimes the current is running fast and its difficult to get a jig to the bottom. It helps if you have someone driving the boat in the direction of the a current so you get a nice straight line all the way down!, normally a crank in reverse should do the trick every so often.

50Pbraid is heavy, I like 3 braid with a 80P leader, although this is considered light and a big king will give you heaps but if your gear is tough and your confident with your knots then i recon youll be fine.

Good luck

I was thinking in that general direction 12 mile / peak not sure how deep out there

i heard last year this was the place to go

I am pretty confident with my knots & love the challenge might take a 30 & 50lb outfit for back up

Mate, the depth of the peak where I get my fish from is about 57 to 80 metres and the 12 mile is around high 90's to 130 metres.I personally use 80lb braid and 100 to 150lb leader and would not use anything lighter as I still hook fish that brick me on that.The kings are in bigger numbers and getting bigger every year since they stopped the commercial trapping of them.As for jigs I use 200 to 400gram depending on the current and wind and like BillyD said sometimes you need to put the boat in reverse.Good Luck

Cheers Mike

Hey Alphabet,

I use Jigman colour coded 50 lb braid for my deep water jigging.

I use a 80 -120 lb 1.5m flurocarbon leader tied to the braid with a PR knot. To the other end of the leader I tie/crimp a 300lb owner solid ring. To this ring I attach a 450 lb split ring and an assist hook. I then attach the split ring to the jig. If I need to change jigs I simply open the split ring and swap the jigs.

I like Zest and Williamson jigs in the 200 - 300 gram range. These jigs are good to jig in water up to around 120 m deep.

post-3134-127184803219_thumb.jpg

post-3134-1271848045_thumb.jpg

post-3134-127184805454_thumb.jpg

Hey Alphabet,

I use Jigman colour coded 50 lb braid for my deep water jigging.

I use a 80 -120 lb 1.5m flurocarbon leader tied to the braid with a PR knot. To the other end of the leader I tie/crimp a 300lb owner solid ring. To this ring I attach a 450 lb split ring and an assist hook. I then attach the split ring to the jig. If I need to change jigs I simply open the split ring and swap the jigs.

I like Zest and Williamson jigs in the 200 - 300 gram range. These jigs are good to jig in water up to around 120 m deep.

Thanks Evets

On your assist hooks i noticed you used red heat shrink, Have you notice any difference in hook up rate compared to black or any other colour

Do you have preference in colour I am leaning towards green & gold in a range of different brands

plus a couple of different colours

Edited by ALPHABET

what rod will you be using and what is it rated too

you have to match your gear to the rod

i run 2 jigging outfits one is a shimano jigwrex PE5 setup and the other is a jigging master three kings PE8

the PE5 rod works best with jigs around the 250gm mark and the PE8 works best with 350gm jigs

if you don't match your gear correctly you wont get the best action out of your jig and you will tire a lot faster

i use saltiga boat braid on my outfits and i use windon leaders in the 100lb bracket or i connect 100lb leaders via a PR knot

i like to use the zest jigs but be prepared to loose a lot of jigs out there to jackets and toads so i have a heap of cheap jigs too my jigging bag weighs about 10kgs haha

i connect my jigs in the same way that Evets has said

the zest jigs come like this out of the packet so if you buy them all you need to do is tie your leader to the solid ring

i don't think color plays too much of a roll especially when jigging in deep water its more the action of the jig

but i still do have my fav color and that's the blue zest long baitfish

Alphabet,

No I havent noticed a difference in the strike rate with the red heat shrink. It was the only colour I could find when I was making the assist hooks up.

Colours? I havent really noticed any real difference between them but I like pinks and blues. My fishing buds have had great success with greens. I reckon that jig action and underwater structure play more of a factor than jig colour. If you are after kings jig on the side of the structure that the ocean current is running towards. Even better to jig on the highest point of that structure. Sending a livie down at the same time is also a pretty good idea.

Framedtrash, Where are you getting your Zests?? My mail order ones dont come with a second solid ring - only a split ring and an assist hook tied to a solid ring. :angry:

Evets