Jervis Bay

kosta_b

Hello fellow fishos.

I will be heading out to Jervis bay next weekend 30th April for a couple of days and would like to take the missus fishing. I don't have access to a boat but will look at hiring one. (any suggestions best place, I heard Sussex is the only place that has boat hire). I will be based at Sanctuary point and actually staying at a waterfront house with a private jetty. Being a keen fisho, no doubt I will be spending some time fishing off that jetty. :1fishing1:

Have never fished the St George Basin before, so I am looking for some tips/guidance about the area, best baits to use, if I do hire a boat, should I drift or anchor up and a few spots which might hold some fish, what type of species to expect to catch at this time of year etc. I am not looking for anyones secret location, just some help and guidance to get me started. We don't eat many fish so we may keep one for the table but mainly catch and release.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to PM me if you wish to instead.

Thanks everyone... Hopefully I can come back in here and post up some picks.... I have been a long time reader but have not posted too many times and I would like to start contributing eventually :biggrin2:

Going up for the long weekend. When i get back i'll put a report up and see if i can sus out some fishing spots for you :1fishing1:

Your a gentleman and a scholar thanks mate much appreciated. Look forward to your help.

Cheers. :thumbup:

Your a gentleman and a scholar thanks mate much appreciated. Look forward to your help.

Cheers. :thumbup:

Actually I should be more specific and state I will be mainly looking at St George basin as Ill be based at Sanctuary point..... but anywhere would be good

Hi mate,

Was down there last weekend. I got the opportunity to fish the Basin one morning only. I had the most success drifting close to the drop off into the channel out off Garden Island which is just out from the Island Point Road Boat Ramp, St Georges Basin.

I got a few legal snapper and whiting and plenty of undersize bream and snapper. The legal snapper were all caught on whitebait and the whiting and bream on prawns. All on the drift ( I am too lazy to put out an anchor.)

I tried hard with different plastics with no success.

You will need a boat to fish that spot, I know they have little tinnies over at Sussex but I am not too sure about St Georges Basin. Those little ones at Sussex will take you an overnighter at full steam to get over to Garden Island.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how you went.

Matt

Hi mate,

Was down there last weekend. I got the opportunity to fish the Basin one morning only. I had the most success drifting close to the drop off into the channel out off Garden Island which is just out from the Island Point Road Boat Ramp, St Georges Basin.

I got a few legal snapper and whiting and plenty of undersize bream and snapper. The legal snapper were all caught on whitebait and the whiting and bream on prawns. All on the drift ( I am too lazy to put out an anchor.)

I tried hard with different plastics with no success.

You will need a boat to fish that spot, I know they have little tinnies over at Sussex but I am not too sure about St Georges Basin. Those little ones at Sussex will take you an overnighter at full steam to get over to Garden Island.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how you went.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info mate... Ill definately give it a shot... hopefully I will have some pics to post up next week!

Hey mate fished the basin and got a legal snapper and 2 flathead, Lost a good bream, Got heeps of tailer and undersized whiting while difting the channel in the basin on bonito fillets. Start about 200 meters off sussex inlet and you can dift in 8 meters of water.

If you want to hire a boat there is about 3 places you can hire a boat from in sussex inlet. Oh and Boab boat hire is down there to so you can hire a boat, Trailer it and can take it where ever you want ( i.e other lakes, jervis bay etc ). There not slow either so you drive them fast as long as you have a boat licence.

Hope this helps and goodluck :1fishing1:

Hey mate fished the basin and got a legal snapper and 2 flathead, Lost a good bream, Got heeps of tailer and undersized whiting while difting the channel in the basin on bonito fillets. Start about 200 meters off sussex inlet and you can dift in 8 meters of water.

If you want to hire a boat there is about 3 places you can hire a boat from in sussex inlet. Oh and Boab boat hire is down there to so you can hire a boat, Trailer it and can take it where ever you want ( i.e other lakes, jervis bay etc ). There not slow either so you drive them fast as long as you have a boat licence.

Hope this helps and goodluck :1fishing1:

Good info there cut_loose, yeah I will hire a boat as I do have a boat license, so hopefully be able to get around the basin a little...appreciate it. Im off on Friday, so hopefully the weather is kind to me and I get some solid time fishing... :biggrin2: