Bait For Bream

hayden_229

best bait hmm there really isnt a "best" but you can get them on live nippers, fresh prawns, squid strips, chicken breast with parmasan cheese+breadcrumb, Moist bread, dough, worms.

at the moment the bream seem to be in slightly deeper water in botany but you can still get a few just look for either weedy bottom areas, structures (mooring,pylons rocky ledges etc..) i can usually get a few near tom uglies bridge casting toward the pylon or off to the left casting just past the weed patches, wharf's produce some decent bream as well could also try the mouth of cooks river or even in cooks river near the boat ramps etc.. next to the airport, also you can try the groins along brighton/ramsgate etc.. (those rocky structures that stick out from the beach)

really covered a whole heap of spots for them :P

fish light small ball sinker running to swivel with about 50-80cm trace and your usuall hooks.

ive been practicing with lure fishing for bream lately still no success with that :P so i always leave one rod with bait out as well.

Hi,

try shallows on the run up tide, where there is weed and sand...

or you can try around structure, rocks, moored boats

where there is a little bit of current, or when the tide slows ie just before low or hi tides

use a 6lb line and leader about 1 m long, and the smallest sinker possible to get the bait down, or even no sinker at all on a running sinker rig.

Leave the rod in the holder as they will hook themselves, and if you see little bites, don’t touch the rod, it could be a big one.

Burley is a must, use old bread or crumbs, chicken pellets, corn, aniseed and garlic, mixed with chopped pilchards, and a burley pot... and keep a fine trail constantly flowing out.

The trick is to use a bait that you are burleying with.

Pilchards would have to be the most versatile and easiest bait to get.... You can use chicken with parmesan cheese. or large prawns.

I have found that sometimes you need to use whole pillies to get the bigger fish, with a one hook rig and half hitch on the tail, (cut the tail fin off to prevent the bait from spinning if there is current).

This one took a whole pilchard, 3 weeks ago, fished in the way as described above.

post-3290-127241854226_thumb.jpg

best bait hmm there really isnt a "best" but you can get them on live nippers, fresh prawns, squid strips, chicken breast with parmasan cheese+breadcrumb, Moist bread, dough, worms.

at the moment the bream seem to be in slightly deeper water in botany but you can still get a few just look for either weedy bottom areas, structures (mooring,pylons rocky ledges etc..) i can usually get a few near tom uglies bridge casting toward the pylon or off to the left casting just past the weed patches, wharf's produce some decent bream as well could also try the mouth of cooks river or even in cooks river near the boat ramps etc.. next to the airport, also you can try the groins along brighton/ramsgate etc.. (those rocky structures that stick out from the beach)

really covered a whole heap of spots for them :P

fish light small ball sinker running to swivel with about 50-80cm trace and your usuall hooks.

ive been practicing with lure fishing for bream lately still no success with that :P so i always leave one rod with bait out as well.

Hope im not hijacking the thread, but any chance you can enlighten me on how to put bread onto a hook? I tried to have a go at it last week (tried hooking it thru the crust) but it just never seemed to stay on long enough [not to mention i had a ton of problems trying to cast with bread unweighted]. . i also tried wetting it in the water but it just kept on falling apart. . .do i just need to wet alot and just 'pack' it on and around the hook and press it together as tight as possible?

I find the best way is to take a small wad (no crust)of bread and pop it your mouth, get it nice and moist but not too wet, and just mold it onto your hook, Ive been doing it for years and it seems to work ok for me.

Bill

just gotta moisten the bread up :) i usually have a small bucket of water and leave slices of bread in it to go all soggy then drain it :P ( good side of that is i mix a few burley pellets into that water with all the bread etc.. n works for burley too)

Hi,

-try shallows on the run up tide, where there is weed and sand...

-or you can try around structure, rocks, moored boats

-where there is a little bit of current, or when the tide slows ie just before low or hi tides

-use a 6lb line and leader about 1 m long, and the smallest sinker possible to get the bait down, or even no sinker at all on a running sinker rig.

-Leave the rod in the holder as they will hook themselves, and if you see little bites, don’t touch the rod, it could be a big one.

-Burley is a must, use old bread or crumbs, chicken pellets, corn, aniseed and garlic, mixed with chopped pilchards, and a burley pot... and -keep a fine trail constantly flowing out.

-The trick is to use a bait that you are burleying with.

-Pilchards would have to be the most versatile and easiest bait to get.... You can use chicken with parmesan cheese. or large prawns.

-I have found that sometimes you need to use whole pillies to get the bigger fish, with a one hook rig and half hitch on the tail, (cut the tail fin off to prevent the bait from spinning if there is current).

-This one took a whole pilchard, 3 weeks ago, fished in the way as described above.

Hi Hayden it would be a good idea to read each sentence in Mr Rosebay's advice carefully, if you read into it and use your imagination you'll find it will open up more opportunities for you with other species..

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: