Deepest Part Of The Harbour

AndrewNR

I have been searching for the deepest part of Sydney harbour as I have been fishing and have found that between georges head and Clifton gardens that is the deepest part. If anyone knows of a deeper spot and wants to tell that would be nice. Thanks Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

According to SMH, the deepest part of Sydney Harbour is about 47.2m between Dawes Point and Blues Point.

Cheers

That would be my vote, next would be Balls head, the next point up stream from Blues Point.

Greg

I have been searching for the deepest part of Sydney harbour as I have been fishing and have found that between georges head and Clifton gardens that is the deepest part. If anyone knows of a deeper spot and wants to tell that would be nice. Thanks Andrew.

I was interested by your question and thought I could mabye add some more detail with another reference from the magic of Google and up came information from under the SMH reference from a bibleonline website (random) with some quote of the deepest part of the harbour, it said

"It's between Blues Point and Dawes Point, no question. I dived all over Sydney Harbour collecting cores for my PhD on pollution in harbour sediments. This hole is marked as 150 feet (46 metres) on the very detailed map prepared by Charles Phipps of Sydney Uni in 1967, by far the deepest part of the harbour, and it's a very eerie dive. I went into zero visibility at about 25 metres and could hardly tell when I touched the bottom, which was (and still is) a polluted, jelly-like ooze that released streams of bubbles of hydrogen sulphide (rotten-egg gas) when I pushed in my core tubes. It raised all manner of primeval fears."

Thought the description was a bit off but thats whats down there but its still the best harbour in the world.

I was interested by your question and thought I could mabye add some more detail with another reference from the magic of Google and up came information from under the SMH reference from a bibleonline website (random) with some quote of the deepest part of the harbour, it said

"It's between Blues Point and Dawes Point, no question. I dived all over Sydney Harbour collecting cores for my PhD on pollution in harbour sediments. This hole is marked as 150 feet (46 metres) on the very detailed map prepared by Charles Phipps of Sydney Uni in 1967, by far the deepest part of the harbour, and it's a very eerie dive. I went into zero visibility at about 25 metres and could hardly tell when I touched the bottom, which was (and still is) a polluted, jelly-like ooze that released streams of bubbles of hydrogen sulphide (rotten-egg gas) when I pushed in my core tubes. It raised all manner of primeval fears."

Thought the description was a bit off but thats whats down there but its still the best harbour in the world.

jelly(yum) like(hmm) ooze(eeww)

so i suppose fish wouldn't really be living in this deep jelly hole?

Hey Tip Tip

Very interested in your reply and your work.

Testing of sediments etc etc. ????

I was privy to a lot of the environmental work leading up to the Olypmics with greenpeace and OCA.

I understand that most of your work will be confidential etc etc but any info you can share as to your current studies would be very appreciated by all fishraiders. Probably a stupid question by me as i already know the answer and appreciate your position.

But yes throw us any scraps of info you are able to. It will help all fishraiders to understand where we need to be in the long run to sustain this environment.

I am sort of out of that intense field now, so i just feed on any and all info that I can devour and try to disseminate relevent data to assist others in addressing the problems of our age. And no I am not a bloody greeny I just respect our earth.

Look after our wonderful harbour, you and your like are obviously the next custodians.

Cheers

Trapper Tom.

Hey Tip Tip

Very interested in your reply and your work.

Testing of sediments etc etc. ????

I was privy to a lot of the environmental work leading up to the Olypmics with greenpeace and OCA.

I understand that most of your work will be confidential etc etc but any info you can share as to your current studies would be very appreciated by all fishraiders. Probably a stupid question by me as i already know the answer and appreciate your position.

But yes throw us any scraps of info you are able to. It will help all fishraiders to understand where we need to be in the long run to sustain this environment.

I am sort of out of that intense field now, so i just feed on any and all info that I can devour and try to disseminate relevent data to assist others in addressing the problems of our age. And no I am not a bloody greeny I just respect our earth.

Look after our wonderful harbour, you and your like are obviously the next custodians.

Cheers

Trapper Tom.

Trapper Tom

Unfortunately not my own work just my reply, I thought of using google to see if there were any other locations listed and it was a random website that came up called bibleonline.com.au, I just typed in deepest part of Sydney harbour to google and it came up with a reference from a Sydney university phd student about his descpition of his dive in Sydney harbour and thought it was interesting. Sorry if you thought it was my own work

http://www.bibleonline.com.au/bible-online-articles/2008/3/28/column-8/