Evinrude 135

idolz

Hi, yes you are correct they are the same block with a different "brain" or more correctly different software versions. It is an often asked question with all clean tech engines due to all brands basically reprogramming the EMM/ECU to produce more HP. If you were smart enough you could reprogram an engine but you would need to proper hardware and skills to do it and here in Oz there is no company I know of that can do this. In the States, where they sell ALOT more outboards and there is a big enough market to make it worth while for a company to set themselves up like this there a massive fines due to the EPA and changing emissions on clean engine. With the old tech engines like carby engines of both 2 and 4 strokes it was easy and cheap to make more power if you had the small brother of a family.

If you are after more performance better off to make sure she is set-up and propped right and I hope you are seeing about 5000-5250 at WOT otherwise you are propped or set-up wrong.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, yes you are correct they are the same block with a different "brain" or more correctly different software versions. It is an often asked question with all clean tech engines due to all brands basically reprogramming the EMM/ECU to produce more HP. If you were smart enough you could reprogram an engine but you would need to proper hardware and skills to do it and here in Oz there is no company I know of that can do this. In the States, where they sell ALOT more outboards and there is a big enough market to make it worth while for a company to set themselves up like this there a massive fines due to the EPA and changing emissions on clean engine. With the old tech engines like carby engines of both 2 and 4 strokes it was easy and cheap to make more power if you had the small brother of a family.

If you are after more performance better off to make sure she is set-up and propped right and I hope you are seeing about 5000-5250 at WOT otherwise you are propped or set-up wrong.

Cheers,

Huey.

Could you just buy a new ECU for it ?????, no idea what the cost for this would be ?? or is there more than just the ECU ???

Could you just buy a new ECU for it ?????, no idea what the cost for this would be ?? or is there more than just the ECU ???

Yes you could but I would spend that money on making sure she is set-up and propped right before going down that path. Here in Oz there are no fines so it is upto the owner, but if you ever need to replace an ECU or EMM they come without any info inside them and before they get shipped the manufacturer supplies the info relating to the engine it is going to go on. Yes you could get around this by buying a second hand 150HP ECU and fitting but again I would spend my money elsewhere.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

i bought the boat with a motor that has no compression on one of the cylinders,,, (EVINRUDE 2005 model 135 DI)....i was thinking of just buying a new motor,,,,, but i assume the cost of a full rebuild would be around the 2-4K mark,,, i would be happy to throw in another Grand to have it upgraded to a 150hp while it was being repaired

Anthony

i bought the boat with a motor that has no compression on one of the cylinders,,, (EVINRUDE 2005 model 135 DI)....i was thinking of just buying a new motor,,,,, but i assume the cost of a full rebuild would be around the 2-4K mark,,, i would be happy to throw in another Grand to have it upgraded to a 150hp while it was being repaired

Anthony

Hi Anthony, a good ECU for a 150HP will cost more than that if you can find one. To rebuild, depending on what caused the failure and I would not mind betting fuel related due to small lines, wrong filteres and/or wrong prop, would cost about about $4-$5K done right and that is assuming no dmages to crankshaft,con-rods, bearings etc. For only $2K you will get nothing like what you want. Your call but I hope you paid the right money for the rig and consiering a new clean tech 150HP engine of any brand is around $19K upwards it is a lot cheaper to rebuild this engine, but you need to make sure the root casue is found otherwise chances are it can and will happen again.

Cheers,

Huey.