Middle Harbour

zen801

Hi Raiders,

Went out for a fish sunday morning at 5:30am in freezing conditions. The water was pretty dirty and brown. We really had intentions of trying for a low tide jewie, maybe a flattie and a DR of the heads.

We did the usual and tried a few spots before settling in at a spot for yakkas to take outside maybe for a downrig. Ran into a fellow raider at the spot. Didnt take long before a yakka was hit on the way down and to my surprise got a few jumps from a salmon. I was happy with that as the cats love to eat salmon. Picked up a nice keeper flattie and a few trevs. Loaded up on yakkas and decided to go out to middle head and have a look. It was pretty bad out there but we cruised over to the Dobroyd bommie for a look. Waves were breaking nicely onto Dobroyd and thought stuff this well go back into MH. Tried a few spots and then settled at the jewie spot for the change of tide run in. Mate it was dead as you can imagine. Nothing on the sounder and baits just not getting a look in. By this stage i was frozen and pretty much stuffed as had a huge day at Rosehill races on saturday and a late night before the early fishin kick off.

This is where having a determined mate on board helps. I am thinking lets go home and he is saying lets try this other spot one last time. Get there and the wind is a problem and my bent anchor just doesnt want to hold. The sounder is alive with baitfish and kings so we get determined to get the anchor to hold and give it a go.

Burlyed up and got some bait down. The pillies were getting hits from the hoardes of fish down there but nothing great. Mate says im putting a yakka down. He attempts to do that but it never makes it to the bottom and hes on to a good king. Get it in the boat and its a keeper so i do the same and bang another king. We landed 4 fat healthy kings in about 20min. The longest a yakka was in the water was 20 seconds. It was hectic and a great end to a long day. We ran out of yakkas and by the time we stuffed around and jigged a few more the kings went off the bite.

Gotta say its also good to fish with someone who is in sync with ya, so when its a hot bite your mate is doing what needs to be done to keep it rolling on and vice versa. Team M&M got the most out of that small window of opportunity.

The kings were 67 - 70cm. With 2 each and families to feed all ended well. Excuse the stupid look on my face in the pic but i was exhausted after a big weekend. The kings are so chunky ATM.

I am at a loss as to why the jews seem to have not come into MH in numbers this year. I dont think its just me not getting them as reports in general have been thin on the ground. Anyone got any theories????

Mike

post-2060-127587425203_thumb.jpg

Edited by zenman

Great result for sticking at it, Mike.

Who would have thought you'd find kings on the chew in such dirty water and dirty conditions. I hope the tasty fillets took the edge of your exhaustion.

Cheers, Slinky

Cheers slinky,

Yeah it was a good surprise considering the water has cooled right off and is so dirty. I think though it is almost the end of the kingie season other than the few hoods that hang for the winter but they are too smart and strong for my crappy gear.

Cheers

good onya for sticking at it Mike, it was very windy on sunday, good to see you guys got good results, i knew i should have stayed around for some more action, your right about the kings being fat at the moment, wish i could help you out with the jewies but im yet to land a harbour jew myself. keep trying.

Great result for sticking at it, Mike.

Who would have thought you'd find kings on the chew in such dirty water and dirty conditions. I hope the tasty fillets took the edge of your exhaustion.

Cheers, Slinky

the water was so dirty and fresh that i couldnt keep squid alive in tank (circulating) for more than 10-15mins so much fresh on the surface.

:thumbup: Well done Mike on the nice kingies, your,e not gettin any younger and you like burning the candle from both ends lol :074: .

At least you guys took home a feed after changing tactics due to the chop outside.

Hang in there - middle harbour is a great spot and the snapper you caught last session is proof of that.

Twin 1

Nice Kings Mike :thumbup: - I love it when the Kings want yakka's I find em so much easier to acquire than squid (particularly in dirty water)

Cheers Blood Knot

Hi Blood Knot,

Yeah agree on both counts. I am not into squiding and not good at it and yakkas are easy to get but most of the time hard to lose. The squid factor is why the very big hoods and jews elude me.

Mike

Nice effort on the kingfish Mike :thumbup: I can see some separate squid sessions coming up to fill up your freezer i.e. just enough to make you the leading squid and kingfish spokesman within the boundaries of the parish of Middle Harbour :biggrin2:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hey Mike,

Long time no see mate! Good to see you out in winter too!! Thats a new one for you isn't it?

I have been thinking about kings lately since I have not targeted them in some time. Might have a go this weekend!?

Mate there are heaps of jew in middle harbour, but fresh squid is key. I have not had a fishless middle harbour jew session in the last 6 outings. No crackers mind you, with most between 55cm and 70cms. All taken on fresh or live squid, some on self caught and carefully frozen squid.

I try other baits every time, but they rarely get looked at.

I've tried twice in the Hawkesbury recently too. One great session on shop squid and live/fresh tailor in dirty water, and one crap session in dirtier water a few weeks later.

Can't go past fresh squid. The arrows have been around in some numbers too lately. Spit did well last weekend for me.

Cheers mate. See you out on the water.

Dave