Clear Or Merky Water

camb1988

G'day Camb,

'In general' doesn't quite work... different fish feed better in different conditions. I guess you could confidently say that more fish probably like clean water than murky water but mostly it's related to what their food is doing. Murky water often is a result of a lot of rain and all that fresh water can flush a lot of the bait that fish chase, out of the estuary. Therefore the fish tend to move too.

Some fish hate dirty water... a lot of pelagics or squid for example.

By contrast, some species (like Jewies or bull sharks for example) will actively hunt in murky water, particlularly where it meets clean water, specifically chasing those very same flushed-out, disoriented baitfish.

Cheers, Slinky

I agree with Slinky

When the water is as brown as what it is at the moment I have found "smellier" baits work best. The fish tend to "find" this a little easier to locate.

Also for something different try garden worms where the storm water drains empty out. Normally they don't work that great, but when there has been a heap of rain like there has been they tend to get flushed out from peoples gardens and the fish feed on them

gav

Spot on Gav

I have use garden worms in normal conditions abd caught all the estuary species.The secret is to us the big garden worms and change the baits every 15-20 minutes.I have a good worm patch in my garden.

Do flashy/reflective lures work better in the murky water to attract fish (ie metal lures) compared to clearer waters? Also shouldn't the murky water provide more cover for fish and therefore they should be more out and about looking for food?

Hey Slam and Camb.

Can vouch for the garden worm thing.

Works a treat in run-off areas for whiting and bream.

Another tip for FR,s here.

As kids and growing up, all tea leaves were disposed of in one spot in the garden. (dig a hole)

The worms love it.

Come home and need a fish no probs, scratch out a truck load of worms in 2 secs and off you go.

Also have used them on whiting in non run off periods as well to good effect.

Note that they do not last long and lose their colour quickly so they do need frequent replacing and are not as good as the esturine worms.

Cheers

Trapper Tom.