Fishing Iceland

Hello Raiders,

After deciding my NZ trip wasn't enough extreme fishing to give me my fix for a while I embarked on another adventure but this time in Iceland. Unfortunately I was going to be too early for the salmon however Iceland is very well known for its mega brown trout and abundant arctic char fishing. So after a few days sight seeing with the cheese and kisses a guide was organised and on Friday 28th I headed for lake Thingvallavatn -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Eingvallavatn

This is the largest lake in Iceland and it supports some extra large browns (a 10 pound plus fish is common) as well as a very healthy population of artic char. It was the char that were going to be the target for the day with wet flies.

I was picked up a 8am by my guide and we made our 50km journey from Reykjavik. The outside temp was 8 degs C and there were a few clouds but otherwise sunny. These conditions were not ideal but the guide was confident. We were both going to fish and use nymphs with a small hares ear as the point fly. We had a 15 - 20 minute walk around the lake before we came to the first fishable location. The water temp was about 4 degs C so I was pleased that I had my thermals on under my waders. My guide advised me that the average size of the char was about 30 cms and a fish of 50 + cms was considered a good catch. Anyway we started fishing and my guide was lucky enough to hook up on his first couple of casts but unfortunately did not land it. I plugged away for an hour or so for zip before we decided a new spot was in order. The only saving grace for me from this first session was that I did not get one wind knot which at least meant my casting was ok.

The next location was a little deeper and with the breeze on our backs casting conditions were perfect. It didn't take long and I had a very soft take and then came up solid. Initially I thought it was a little fella but once the fish realised what had happened it took off. As I saw the fly line disappear and then the backing start pouring off the reel my guide made the comment that this was a good fish. It then slugged away and I slowly worked it in before my guide did the work with the net. They are good eating so it was knocked it on the head and I donated it to my guides tucker bag as I was leaving the next day. No official measure however fish was 50 - 55 cm.

After fishing for a little longer we decided a lunch break was in order and stopped to take in the mountain views with a couple of sambos and coffee. My guide explained that it would be unlikely that we would get another fish of this size but hopefully we would pick up a few smaller or average size ones.

Soon after lunch and in the same spot I was in again and to make a liar out of my guide it was a exact repeat of the previous fish with a soft take and then a good run pealing 30 odd yards of backing off. My guide was indeed surprised but even more so when he saw the fish and realised that it was bigger than the first. The fish was safely netted and this time 55 to 60 cms so a very pleasing result. This one was released.

We continued to fish this spot for another 30 mins or so before moving again. We fished some more beautiful water however between the two of us but didn't manage anymore fish. There was still plenty of daylight left (21 - 22 hrs sunlight per day) however I had certainly had enough by about 4pm and we walked back to the car. My guide summed up the day by saying "it was a day of quality and not quantity". Hope you enjoyed the read and a couple of pics.

Cheers

Moro Mou

post-8087-127597074624_thumb.jpg

post-8087-127597081764_thumb.jpg

post-8087-127597083592_thumb.jpg

post-8087-127597085356_thumb.jpg

Those char look like torpedoes ... no wonder the fat little buggers pulled as hard as they did! Congrats on two amazing fish mate. Yet another Fishraider record I imagine.

Cheers

Hodgey

Thanks Guys:

Hodgey - yep they do pull well and despite looking similar to a trout in my opinion they fight differently.

Dog Tooth - ah yes Frequent Fishing Miles - unfortunatley they have a used by date which mine are fast approaching.

Slinky - it was magic and for anyone interested it was in the "Rift Valley" which is between the Euroasian and North American continental plates that are slowing pulling apart. It was also very close to where Iceland's first Parliment was established.

Hi,

Nice report.

I ate arctic char at an up market restaurant in sydney a few years ago and it was one of the best dishes i have ever eaten.

Cheers

Edited by zenman