Amazing Little Baitcaster

slinkymalinky

I spooled up, stripped down and tuned my new Abu 1500c today. Talk about good things coming in small packages.

I took it out the back to the swimming pool and was casting around some lures... small lures... reeeally small lures. It casts SX40s no problem. :1yikes:

For anyone who hasn't tried casting a 3.5gram lure with a baitcaster before, I can tell you that I'm waaaaay impressed.

And I haven't even swapped the bearings for Ceramic Hybrids yet.

Cheers, Slinky

What sort of distance were you getting with the small lures? Obviously you were only casting the length of the pool but did it feel like it had a lot more potential? I have a tiny mitchell spidermite baitcaster with a 5'6 rod, get around 15m out of it (my casting needs some tweaking also) but think I need a new reel and longer rod as the setup I have seems to be more of a yak rod (had it since I was 12 so was perfect back then). Saw the pics you put up of this reel and it sure is damn sexy.

I took the outfit down the back of the block and as long as the level-wind is centred, I can cast about 25-30m. As you'd expect, there's not much room for error with your thumb.

The rod I'm using is a Silstar Travese-X 541... 5'4" 1-2kg. 4lb Fins braid.

Cheers, Slinky

Never really checked if the level wind is centred when I cast, and my rod is a 1-2kg 5'6 so it shouldn't be my excuse, might have to get some better braid and some practice. My reel free spools for around 30seconds so no issue with that. Was looking for a reason to get another new toy but looks like I'll just have to do some upgrades. Very nice combo you have there anyway!