Tuna Reports

Crusher

Hi everyone,

Did anyone do any good chasing Tuna off Sydney over the past weekend of 26th, 27th June?

We plan to fish off Sydney next Sunday and have the following weekend free to fish.

I have heard that Bermagui is firing and am considering heading down there in 2 weekends time if the fishing is quiet off Sydney.

Crush.

Havent Heard anything off sydney of late.

Anyone know of any reports at browns of the fin? Any good temp breaks off browns?

Mike

thats right bermagui is firing up! this morning brad on espirit charters managed two fins 100 plusn i heard. im heading down there myself on wendsday to try my luck

We fished Browns today. It looked to be a great day, according to the BOM site, and Seabreeze. The wave dropped to 1.6 by about 7, we were on the water at 8.30, and the S/W was suppposed to die mid-morning. It didn't. And I'd hoped my own judgment, i.e., very cold overnight, warm body of water out there, expect a S-westerly to hang up, would be wrong. It wasn't.

We trolled up a big stripey about 4 mile back from Browns, trolled 'til 1 hoping the wind would die, then had a few deep drops. Despite the sou-westerly, with each drop we covered a mile, heading south. I kid you not. With 4 lbs of lead, I don't think we got bottom once - though we must have been close, as we picked up one blue-eye about 20 lbs - lost no gear at all though. and we were backing up into swell that went 2.5 meters on occasion.

Plans of cubing were dropped, and we trolled back to a couple of miles inside the shelf for no joy.

Temps. By about the 12 mile we got 18.8; once over the shelf, 19.2; a few miles before Browns, and for the rest of the time out there, 19.8. Beautiful.

Activity. Most birds were prions, with a few albatross - very few gannets. Saw no gathering activity at all.

Current. That big eddy we've been watching for weeks is now well ensconced, and has dramatically lifted the temp, but where the fish are, dog knows. They aren't on this edge - not today anyway. The speed of the current is as big as the CSIRO site says it is; it's as strong as we've seen it in the last few years. It appears to be running from NNE to SSW on this edge anyway.

By 4, we'd made it back to the shelf; the temp dropped .5 almost immediately, the seas dropped, and it was as though the earler stuff had been a bad dream.

Won't go out again until we get some warmer overnight temps.

There was 1 pro boat working the bottom there today - what a bugger of a way to have to make a quid, in those conditions.

Saw only one other boat, and they left Browns very early.

Wirrah

I am hearing from two separate sources today that the south coast is going off.

Unfortunately a big southerly is coming through there on the weekend and I can't get off work this week.

Anyone from down south care to comment?

Hi we fished bermi the weekend before last.... the 19 th, 20th june.... conditions were as flat as (which personally doesnt help the tuna bite)...we trolled and trolled and cubed and cubed over the two days for nothing at all bar a few bonito and a barracuda.... it was disappointing although the beers went down well..... there werent any other boats around despite the conditions which i think says something in itself..... been years since i fished bermie and montague and cant wait to give it another shot with hopefully better results..... good luck if u go....paul

Hi guys,

We spent the whole day trolling south of Batemans Bay plateau, Moruya and Tuross Canyons for a few small stripped tuna. Very little bird activity or bait. Some other guys from here fished out of Bermi to the north as the day before a few SBT had been picked up. They got nothing! A local Bermi boat went south towards Tathra and scored 7 SBT to 70 - 80Kg on the troll I believe. Lucky buggers............

Atleast the snapper are firing around here at the moment, may give them a touch up tomorrow. All the best......

Dave

G'day guys,

I went out to the Southern Canyons on monday arvo,grabbed some live yakkas and ran out.The water at the canyons was 21.3c trolled for a bit then cubed with one small alby spotted in the trail on sunset.Maybe next trip.