First Post - Introduction And Kingie Question

FlyFanatic

G'Day,

Given this is my first post, I thought I should introduce myself prior to asking any questions.

I'm a self confessed fishing addict, and I'm generally not fussed how I get my fix. My life's been that way for the past 5 years - and I have my wife to thank (but that's another story).

Obviously, (given my Nick) I enjoy Fly Fishing but am just as happy soaking a bait or tossing a lure. I was lucky enough to buy my first fishing boat last year and try and get out as often as possible, normally at least twice a month. That said I also regularly fish rivers for trout and bass using lures and flys - either wading or from the yak.

Lately, I've just started getting into Jigging for Kingies with an epic first ever session with a mate on the first weekend in June when we were fishing in a local comp just off Sydney (see attached picture - biggest fish went just on 90cm). Since then however I haven't be able to get a single hit (despite 3 separate outings) and have lost probably 15 jigs to the jackets (Expensive!!!).

Anyhow, what I was hoping to ask was if anyone knew if it was worth downrigging for kingies in Sydney Harbour this weekend or is it too late / early in the season? The reason I ask is the weather isn't looking great for this weekend and if I can't get offshore for a jigging season I need to hook up another way!

Any other suggestions on getting a kingie this weekend would be well received.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

FlyFanatic

post-14938-127788972918_thumb.jpg

Hi FlyFanatic,

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider!

Those Kingies look great = you are a few up on me already.

There are plenty of real kingy experts on FR and I am sure that you will get the help you need.

Cheers and tight lines mate.

We look forward to seeing some fantastic posts from you.

Chris

Hi FlyFanatic,

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider!

Those Kingies look great = you are a few up on me already.

There are plenty of real kingy experts on FR and I am sure that you will get the help you need.

Cheers and tight lines mate.

We look forward to seeing some fantastic posts from you.

Chris

Hey Jewdreamer,

Thanks for the welcome message.

I'm yet to catch a Sydney Jew. One day soon hopefully.

Cheers,

Travis

Hey mate,

Some nice kingies there. Which reef did you pick them up on if you don't mind me asking?

In regard to your questions, you can give downrigging a go. There are the odd few fish around but you will find it is extremely slow compared to the summer months in the harbour. This time of year the jigging should start to fire up however everything seems late this year with abnormally warm water temperatures. A few weeks ago (late may) the water was 22 in close and the kings were firing. They have since moved out with the drop in temps but have not really schooled up offshore in big numbers yet. Their numbers are certainly on the increase though.

Hey mate,

Some nice kingies there. Which reef did you pick them up on if you don't mind me asking?

In regard to your questions, you can give downrigging a go. There are the odd few fish around but you will find it is extremely slow compared to the summer months in the harbour. This time of year the jigging should start to fire up however everything seems late this year with abnormally warm water temperatures. A few weeks ago (late may) the water was 22 in close and the kings were firing. They have since moved out with the drop in temps but have not really schooled up offshore in big numbers yet. Their numbers are certainly on the increase though.

Thanks for the heads up.

The reef we were at was just outside the heads, but I've been back a number of times and have only lost jigs to the jackets. Any idea what reefs we should be looking at this weekend?\

Cheers,

Trav

Edited by FlyFanatic

:1welcomeani: FlyFanatic. Good to see another obsessed fishing tragic on the site... :biggrin2:

Kings can be caught all year round in Sydney but in winter they are far fewer although when you find them, generally bigger. The water in middle harbour is usually a couple of degrees warmer so might be a good place to start but it will be hit an miss. Find the bait schools and concentrate there.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks for the heads up.

The reef we were at was just outside the heads, but I've been back a number of times and have only lost jigs to the jackets. Any idea what reefs we should be looking at this weekend?\

Cheers,

Trav

hi FlyFanatic and :1welcomeani: to FR

if your going out this weekend try the far offshore reefs of Sydney if possible (peak, 12 mile) and of terrigal (texas, pearch ground) for jigging and livebaiting. I picked up 3 nice kings about 2 weeks ago over texas, the biggest went 83.

Still small patches of kings around in the harbour and most legal plus. Must be early before too much boat traffic and fish the usual structures and one will come sooner or later. P.S make sure you get the live squidies too! Last 2 outings got me 4. Good ones, 2 @ 1m ,1@ 83cm and 1 @ 75cm. Good luck.

Thanks Guys,

I'm not sure I'll be able to get to far outside this weekend given the weather forcast and size of my boat.

Also a mate of mine from Newcastle has suggested a weekend up there, and a fish in Nelson bay, so I might give that a go this weekend.

1m kingies in the harbour around structure sound like a lot of fun though!

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Trav

One metre kings in the harbour are a hell of alot of fun in tight situations, but you want tight drags and outfits that can handle them. The kings are still around in numbers despite the rain, and water temp drop. Only 2-3 weeks ago they were in our berley trail but would only take live squid :ranting2: , and when your sitting on a wreck only 9.2-10ms deep a real painful experience.

Keep looking they are still hanging about the harbour and do so all year round.

Dan

One metre kings in the harbour are a hell of alot of fun in tight situations, but you want tight drags and outfits that can handle them. The kings are still around in numbers despite the rain, and water temp drop. Only 2-3 weeks ago they were in our berley trail but would only take live squid :ranting2: , and when your sitting on a wreck only 9.2-10ms deep a real painful experience.

Keep looking they are still hanging about the harbour and do so all year round.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

I didn't manage to get out this weekend. It'll have to wait a little longer.

Any advice on where to get said live squid in the harbour? I haven't really tried yet, as I'm not sure what locations to start at. Is their any specific structure that they prefer etc? I've caught squid before, but more as an incidental by catch.

Cheers,

Trav