Few Silly Questions About Squidding

ultrasouth

I use like 15 lb mono.

It doesnt matter. Squid are colour blind and i doubt they can see the line.

Just out of curiosity- How would anybody confirm that? And if so, why is on certain days one colour will work while nothing else gets touched, other days a different one again and sometimes just about any colour is ok?

Musty

Thats a big call, and I would bet my left nut that they can see the line as over the years my catch rate for squid has dramtically increased as I have gone to 4 and 6lb leaders , inshore fishing daytime, at night it may not be as much of a problem but still you should fish as light as possible . Squid have huge eyes for the size of their body and great eyesight their downfall is more often due to their agressive nature an eagerness to attack a jig . They can be very spooky at times and light leader will help entice a strike .Generally I use braided line and at least 2m of leader , as A.Dawg suggested .

Bubba

Dan BUBBA thank you for the information in regards to what type of gear to use when fishing for squid i have just bought two new jigs yo-zuri 2.0 6g pink in colour & yo-zuri 2.0 6g pink head white body glow jig not cheep would they be ok of the wharf at lilli pilli thats the only place i have caught one and i have been told only to fish for squid in clear water not murky water or have i been mislead? Hope to change my luck.

Squid are colour blind. The smaller diameter line you use the less light is reflected which they see. As for the colour of the jigs, the brighter ones reflect the light better in dirty water & the more subdue coloured ones are the way to go in clear water.

Regards Jeff

I just checked out that article on squid eating marlin and i've decided i want to catch a big squid. Does anyone know of any reliable bait grounds where i can catch the marlin and how many i can reasonably expect to keep in my 70-80Litre live bait tank? Now i just have to figure out how i am going to weld the reef pick to a street sign post to make the bait spike and then buy some bigger snaplocks.

:074: :074: :074::Funny-Post::yahoo: :yahoo:

Dan BUBBA thank you for the information in regards to what type of gear to use when fishing for squid i have just bought two new jigs yo-zuri 2.0 6g pink in colour & yo-zuri 2.0 6g pink head white body glow jig not cheep would they be ok of the wharf at lilli pilli thats the only place i have caught one and i have been told only to fish for squid in clear water not murky water or have i been mislead? Hope to change my luck.

Yeah mate the clear water is what your looking for , also kelp and weed beds or well lit areas at night , and dusk and dawn are good times to fish for them . If you have caught them at Lilli Pilli then you should give them a crack there but I would try fishing at night around marinas ,ferry jettys and some bridges , any spots that have clear water and plenty of lighting , the edges of the light are a good place to cast .Yo Zuri are well worth the money , If you are fishing landbased and you have to lift the squid out of the water I would use 8lb leader or 10 leader , you don't want to loose your jigs when trying to haul them up onto a wharf . There are plenty of land based spots around middle head just pull out a map and start exploring them. The marina's around spit bridge are also a good place to fish at night as well as under the bridge.

Good Luck

Yep I believe its the contrast they see not the colour and as you say pink (or red) are the first colours in the spectrum to disappear at depth.

mmm can I ask then why do alot of squid jigs seem to be PINK

Yeah mate the clear water is what your looking for , also kelp and weed beds or well lit areas at night , and dusk and dawn are good times to fish for them . If you have caught them at Lilli Pilli then you should give them a crack there but I would try fishing at night around marinas ,ferry jettys and some bridges , any spots that have clear water and plenty of lighting , the edges of the light are a good place to cast .Yo Zuri are well worth the money , If you are fishing landbased and you have to lift the squid out of the water I would use 8lb leader or 10 leader , you don't want to loose your jigs when trying to haul them up onto a wharf . There are plenty of land based spots around middle head just pull out a map and start exploring them. The marina's around spit bridge are also a good place to fish at night as well as under the bridge.

Good Luck

Dan BUBBA Frost your a champ mate,i will put your advise to practise & belive will come up with the goods thank you

cheers Leonidis