Fishing The Shallows

Shallow water fishing would have to be one of my favourite forms of fishing during the warmer months.

I really enjoyed fishing the flats last summer and cant wait to do it again!!!

Heres a few that were productive for me last summer.

post-10930-127971144402_thumb.jpg

Halco lazer pros, rebels and berkley frenzy were my pick for shallow diving lures for Flathead

post-10930-127971155345_thumb.jpg

Top water were, ecogear "Shrimp", Mebapen clear sub-surface and river to sea "Rover" 50mm

post-10930-12797119429_thumb.jpg

Lures which never failed were sx40 and strike pro shrimp(suspending type)

Whats some of your favourite shallow water estuary lures?

Edited by bloopin

I have to fav top water lures:

- ye old faithful Bassday Suga Pen in the naturals

- Lucky Craft NW pencil in every colour

I had to go with just one it would be the lucky craft they helped me slay some monster bass and jumbo bream and whiting over the christmas period.....

Great stuff guys!!!!

Going to have to get me some of those pencil poppers, been eyeing a few of them off at the local store but never knew which ones to go for.

I definately get much better results with natural looking lures in the shallows.

Mick :beersmile:

Just cant go past a stiffy popper in frv colour run on a stiff mono leader. pleanty of hacking whiting fell for this set up over summer and also a tiny bassday shad.

Coming from Forster I use the FRV stiffy popper, it is a fav , but also pencils , sugar pens when the water is still or bigger thicker pencils when the wind is really blowing. The strength of the wind really determines what surface lure im casting ,thats the most important thing to me. Shallow diving Atomics work well and don't break the budget .

But if I am chasing whiting and could only take 1 lure , it would be the stiffy , and as kingfisher said , some mono leader is a must have.

My favorite surface lures would be:

- Bass = Arbogast Jitterbug....caught many impoundment and wild bass with this lure including my largest bass of 50cm

- Bream = Jaz Zappa 55 in pale ale....great success last summer chasing bream amongst the oyster leases

- Barra = Cultiva Tango Dancer 115cm for low light (including night) and bat wing frogs amongst the weed

Hey boys its grest to see what everyone recommends especially when im really goint to concentrate on top water fishing over this summer, i am starting to make a collection of sammys, stiffy poppers and the smaller stiffy top dogs.

What mono leader do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Pete

+1000000 for the Cultiva Dancer!!!!!!

Having a Barra suck your lure of the surface has got to be one fishings greatest moments :thumbup:

Tango dancer is also a very good kingie lure especially in autumn when there is a lot of seagar schooling up

I will have to get some more Tango Dancers to try them on the Kingies :thumbup: . Last time in the US I noticed they were a third of the price compared to Australia....I will have to visit BassPro next time I'm visiting the US :biggrin2:

My 2 favourite Whiting surface lures are the River 2 Sea Bubble Pop and Sammy 65, problem is when your on a good thing you tend to stick to it and don't try too many other lures. I love poppering for Whiting, bring on summer!

post-6643-128040547943_thumb.jpg

post-6643-128040548602_thumb.jpg

post-6643-12804054958_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...