Blitzkrieg

So here is a late trip report from last Wed thru to Sat that I did to my favourite little place.

Well the walk in was the usual BORING long walk

post-8890-127977999642_thumb.jpg

- I just listen to my IPod and dream of catching humongous Bonefish and Permit in the Seychelles.... However, on the last 1.5 hrs it was incredibly windy- bordering on craziness and I was at the top of the last mountain and just needed to make my way down to the Cox's then up into Kanangra Ck, and I actually got scared for a while as I was seriously worried that a tree or big branch would hit me and finish me off!. As I got into the deep valley below at around 415pm, it wasn't much better there, and the wind was charging down to valley like a banshee but I was at least away from the big old Gums.

Got up to my usual camping spot upstream but opted to not camp there as there are too many overhanging branches so there is a little "picnic" spot only 30 meters in from there and is a grassed area.

post-8890-12797797382_thumb.jpg

Actually much nicer than camping on rocks but I don't like the associated humidity and dampness that is caused by the thick grass. Set up the tent and pegged it down like a tomb and made myself some food. Got into the sarcophagus tent ( it really is small!) and settled in to watch some Curb your Enthusiasm. I was rudely aroused to noise of something walking around near me, and I assumed it was those big feral pigs, so looked outside but nothing- they must of runoff. So I got my pot lid and banged it a few times like a gong to scare any others away. I just didn't want them rooting around in my pack and food. Had maybe 30-45 mins of rain that nite.

Woke up Thursday morning very tired and lethargic, so went back to sleep until 10am. Leisurely breakfast, and 2 strong cups of Java and got my stuff ready for a few hours of wand waving. I only spent maybe 4 hours fishing, and didn't have to venture far upstream to find lots of fish. There are a few excellent pools that were full of fish and I nailed 6 or 7 good fish, and lost around 4 big ones from either tippet snapping, me being too slow to reel line in or just plain bad luck.

post-8890-127977982769_thumb.jpg

post-8890-127977984109_thumb.jpg

post-8890-127977986125_thumb.jpg

The highlight was landing a monster Rainbow, which took me 30 minutes to land as he just didn't want to relent and I had to chase him about 50 meters downstream as I was using light tippet and didn't want him also to get me on some snags of wood etc. I didn't have a net so the actual last seconds before grabbing him were heart stopping!.

post-8890-127977978075_thumb.jpg

post-8890-127977980122_thumb.jpg

But the best part of the session was that 3 big fish leapt out of the water maybe 3 ft when hooked, and it was super thrilling to see. Well maybe not as thrilling as Stewie nailing a massive GT or Doggie but for K ck it was fun!. All catch and release. There were lots of fish in the stream. Retired to the campsite and was one satisfied customer for the short but explosive day. I did however see lots of trees that had been felled from the wind – it was the windiest I have ever seen it up there in the mountains.

post-8890-127977988811_thumb.jpg

A cold night that night, but this time I had bought a better sleeping bag so slept like a log.

Friday I got up at 530am so I could venture far upstream to fish spots that I had not before so basically did a marathon to my highest point then fished from there, but it wasn't as good as the day before. There were plenty of fish, but you know it was the old situation of seeing fish as you startled them by your feet and they motored off into the distance. I caught a few more nice fat 'bows, but this trip no Brown's ( probably because Hooky had caught them all the previous few days on his trip). It never ceases to amaze me how beautiful this little stream is.

post-8890-127978005735_thumb.jpg

post-8890-127977992757_thumb.jpg

It is however pretty tight in places and the surrounding brush/bush can cause you to need some antipsychotic medication as some of the best pools are just ridiculous to cast into. Or maybe I should just rephrase that to " I need to spend more time practicing my casting and build up my different casting techniques". I spend maybe 3-4 days a week practicing my casting at the moment, and it makes a huge difference but somehow I ain't Joan Wulff!.

Decided to build a fire that evening, to dry out some of my damp gear, and as I was collecting big rocks I found this rather nice female. So I got a stick and decided to annoy her so I could take some photos. I'm not too keen on the old Atrax Robustus

post-8890-12797799514_thumb.jpg

so I made her go on her way somewhere else. I was going to stay another day, but had things to do back in Sydney so after gorging myself on dinner I packed most of my gear up and hit the sack.

Saturday I got up at around 445am and was on the trail by 545am. On the 9 hour return trip I saw only 2 people but that was ½ way back to Katoomba. I have never actually seen anyone else down around K ck ( which is kind of good anyway). Got to the locked gate and car park at Narrow Neck road, passed lots of people but none of them offered me a ride, until I was almost onto Cliff Drive when a nice man stopped and told me to jump in. Great! ( There must be an Allah!). On the train ride home I was harassed by some idiots, which nearly required me to call the cops. What is wrong with people these days???. Every time I catch the train up there or back there are always teens/young adults either smoking on the train, drinking or causing trouble. That was a bad end to probably the most productive trip to K ck.

Well on Saturday morning I'm going back for another4 or 5 days, as I know the fish will not stay up there much longer, and anyway my time is running out here soon. Oh no! – I just realized I will miss the final of Mastercrap...maybe I should wait a day....NOT!!!!! ( just like the politicians...what is wrong with people these days???)

Hope you all enjoy the post and pics ( sorry for poor quality- I took the little Nikon point and shoot, what a waste of money. Now I will only take my DSLR even though it weighs the same as an anvil!).

M

Nanook - another excellent post and congratulations on those great trout. You must be a hardcore trout fly fisherman to walk that far for a fish - well done :thumbup:

Do you reckon those fish would take small hardbodies using spinning gear?

Once again a great report there. Truly dedicated :thumbup:

I am going to miss your reports once you head back home :(

:dito: Always an amazing read, accompanied by fantastic photos. The upside is when Matt posts reports from the Frosty Realm, the scenery and the fish are equally spectacular.:thumbup: great report as always mate

Cheers

Hodgey

Guest divoted

What can i say Matt great photos,great location,great fish and fanstatic story telling.Looking forward to mid august,don't disturb them to much this weekend

Brendon

Good on you mate for getting out and experiencing a part of our beautiful country then sharing your adventures with us all. :thumbup:

As always your reports are a joy to read and your photo's are fantastic. Love the big rainbow!!!!! Shes a cracker fish mate and you deserved it :biggrin2:

Sad to here your leaving, your reports will be missed :(

Regards, Mick

Guest divoted

Hi Matt-When you are out there,remember to take a photo of the Black Macquarie Perch.Stay dry and have a safe trip

PS;Larry,I hope your Ipod Batteries runs out

Brendon

Edited by divoted

Nanook - Thats was a great :thumbup:. Love reading your reports. After seeing your pics I can understand why they are called the Blue Mountains lol - Funny I had a little Nikon point n shoot years ago and was not impressed either.

Cheers Blood Knot

Fantastic report as usual, its funny after the perils of the wilderness - wild wind, Funnel Web spiders, Red Belly Black snakes, marauding ferel pigs, trecherous 9 hour walk, the biggest danger is the galoots on the train trip home. No wonder you like to get away from it all.

Cheers, Langa