Jigging Spin Setup

david88

Hey guys, I am going on a jigging charter on the south coast and I would like a new rod for jigging/ livebaiting this summer so I'm after some opinions.

What PE rod line class is suitable for tackling the fish in and around Sydney? I don't want overkill that will be tireing to jig with but I want something capable of downrigging livebait with. I have been looking at the Vfox Tblade rods online and was wondering if anyone has any opinion on them.

I would probably match the rod with a spheros for budget and it's ability to upgrade in the future. What size would you recommend for around Sydney and does anyone hav any other recommendations for around this price range?

Thanks for your help guys and if anyone knows any real cheap places to pickup reels please send me a pm.

Cheers. Dave

Edited by david88

Hey guys, I am going on a jigging charter on the south coast and I would like a new rod for jigging/ livebaiting this summer so I'm after some opinions.

What PE rod line class is suitable for tackling the fish in and around Sydney? I don't want overkill that will be tireing to jig with but I want something capable of downrigging livebait with. I have been looking at the Vfox Tblade rods online and was wondering if anyone has any opinion on them.

I would probably match the rod with a spheros for budget and it's ability to upgrade in the future. What size would you recommend for around Sydney and does anyone hav any other recommendations for around this price range?

Thanks for your help guys and if anyone knows any real cheap places to pickup reels please send me a pm.

Cheers. Dave

mate i just bought another jigging combo last week,(what u can do when u dont have a :wife: i was looking for something ultra light and enough stick to pull in decent kings, i went with a xzoga stick 300g in weight and can jigg 500g weight total of $300 delivered from malaysia and matched it with a okuma salina 2 jigging reel 4000 size with 44lb braid it takes 240m power pro braid, for 99$ delivered reel hasnt been tested yet but have heard some good reports on them they have 25kg drag i'll post up a piccy for u sexy reel!

post-10665-127987159749_thumb.jpg

Edited by mc fishn

I'm in the market for a similar set up myself, I've found the reel I want a Shimano Saragosa 18000 loaded with PE5 , and now for the rod. Considering a Jigging Master but they're not cheap, need something that can be used for downrigging and jigging.

I reckon for Sydney PE3 would be fine but I'm going PE5 to suit my Saragosa, lost too many big Kings on PE3 last summer, want to really put the handbrake on some hoodlums with 15-20kgs of drag.

Mick

if your serious about jiggin take my advise and save up some money and get a good setup to start with

once you get the bug you will want to upgrade your gear asap

its cheaper in the long run to start off with a decent setup

pe3-5 is what you need for 98% of sydney kings

i have a saragosa 18000 there great reels and mines spooled with 80lb but there a tad on the heavy side

so they are not every ones cup of tea

the saragosa is pretty much a pimped spheros so instead of getting a spheros and adding new drag and handle u might as well just buy a saragosa

jigging master is my pick of the litter for rods but as said they are not cheap and unless your pretty serious about jigging u should look at some thing cheaper first

the braid concept rods are ok for a light jig stick and they can be picked up for under $100 they have a nice bend and a nice action

just dont push them too hard would be a good pe3-5 rod

I would go for the pioneer dogtooth. You should be able to pick one up for about 250. Its really light but it has alot of grunt. Ive heard alot of good things about this rod and they are selling pretty quickly at the shops. Very good value for money.

AS stated if your serious buy once buy right spend the money and get a decent combo, Saragosa 8000 matched to a JM250/200 or Daiwa Catalina range of rod will do the trick on 99.5% of Kings in NSW. I have not got that exact out fit but if I was in the market for a mid range combo that would be my pick. as I think it would be a good balance between power and lightness, that’s if spin is your option.

Cheap gear will not last you long if your serious about it, and up grades will always be on the back of your mind!!!

The jigging master Ocean God would be a great rod if you dont want to spend the big bucks but still want a quality rod

it has all the JM quality just without the price you would be looking at around $350ish compared to $500 for a powerspell

• 2 months later...