Help - Us And Aussie Customs Issue

FlyFanatic

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if it is going to be ok to take my fly fishing flies into the US and then bring them back into Australia?

My concern is that Aussie or US customs will confiscate them. I plan on taking around 300 or so and that's some serious dosh to loose if they think they are a bio hazard.

I have previously taken them to Nz and not had any dramas but I don't want to find out that the rules have changed the hard way.

I leave on Saturday, any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Trav

Trav,

Just call customs in Sydney to clarify the issue- like I said I have brought back animal products and they do scrutinize them, but if you are honest then 9 out of 10 times it is OK. At worst they will need to spray them to kill any bacteria etc, but I have also brought hiking gear used in both Cananda and US and no dram ( but do declare them).

I wouldn't worry.

Hope you have a great trip, and if you are going near Kamloops please let me know as one of my best friends lives there and he would be happy to take you fishing;

M

not sure about in the US but bringing them back they will ask if its been used. Just say yes and then say you've cleaned them under fresh water. this is with saltwater lures however.

but if customs here want to take them, they will put it thru quarantine and give it back to you. thats what the tv told me

Customs are a law onto themselves however feathers off the skin are generally OK as long as their not protected, the worst that could happen is they need irradiation, for a cost of course, its been a few years since I dealt with this issue it might pay to check their charges.