Older Model Luvias Vs Sol/caldia

matt84

ok so deciding on what reel to get after my anti-reverse went in my old diawa, will be loaded with 15lb brain and mainly used for chasing rats, snapper, dollies etc on plastics, i can get an older 3000 luvias (silver one not the new blue ones, see pic)for the same price as a sol/advantage/caldia.

im guessing the luvias would be the pick, but being an older model not 100% sure. as have herd of problems with the luvias.

on a side note, 3000 or 4000 for snapper/kings etc?

thanks

post-10816-128040082189_thumb.jpg

Im not too sure if this will help but ive used my mates luvias. His got the blue one which i presume would be the later model but its a fantastic reel. Ive used it of the rocks and it is a very good reel. I havent used a SOL before so won't be able to give you any feedback on that.

G'day Matt,

I have both a 2000 Sol and a 2000 Luvias (older model). As HS said, they're close to identical... in fact, all the Team Daiwa range of that age I've opened up seem built the same way. The Luvias has a couple of extra bearings but the biggest difference is the weight. The Luvias is way lighter and of the two, my favourite... but not by much. I've never had any problems with my Luvias.

Now... about that anti reverse. When you say it's 'gone', what do you mean. It could very well just need 3 minutes work and a cotton bud to fix it. Let me know and I'll see if I can talk you through a fix. PM me if you like and we can swap phone numbers. (don't let me talk you out of buying a new reel though :biggrin2: )

Cheers, Slinky

yer was gonna get a 4000, but don't really need the extra line for chuckin sps at snapper etc too opten, hence the 3000 and luvias even lighter so sounds like a winner.

slinky,

as for the anti-reverse, its only a daiwa exceller an has coped a beating, i pulled it apart for a complete service 3 time in the last few months, grinding gears, sticky when winding and anti reverse problems (separate), pulled the anti reverse out twice in last month, cleaned and drop of oil, cleaned not oiled (was told a few different things to try that might help). through i had fixed it last time went well for 3 weeks, then started happening again. anti revere only seems to fail at one point in a full rotation type thing.

think i will just opt for a luvias, will fix the exceller and just kept it for a spare

Love the old luvias, light, smooth, quiet, have/had 2 (1000&2500) about 2 years old now still working perfectly, also have 2 sols (2500&3000) not so light, still quite smooth after time, but noisy, ive been told to replace the roller bearings and they will be fine again. get the luvias mate at the price of the sol its a steal,also like the handle arm more on the luvias, can you actually pm me where you can get it at that price please as my 1000 was donated to the bottom of the harbour about 6 weeks ago (heartbreaking). cheers, Lee