12 Mile Again

finin

Yes well after yesterdays debarcle :biggrin2: headed out again today. Beautiful morning light winds again from the nnw, nice rolling ground swell 1-1.5M from SE, bugger all bird life and again not much showing on the machine.

A few boats around 10 at the most, 1 seal and not much else. First drop produced a nice 60cm king, swam off at a very Fast rate into the depths, 5 minutes later up comes a nice gemmie with another coming up on the jigs 15 minutes later. It has been strange as i have only heard of couta grabbing jigs, i really think these two got lost on the way too Browns, but on the other hand it is the 3rd week in a row we have jigged up gemmies from the 12 mile.

At least an hours wait before the next fish comes up and it starts taking abit of line of the saragaosa, 10 minutes and a decent king comes up at 75cm. We begin to think things are happening but that was it. Hear of a charter boat getting spooled on 80ib braid 300M in 30 secs!!! unknown thief. I think that was what all the shouting was that we heard :yahoo: !

Decided to end the day with a quick reef fish and ended up with a nice feed of flatties, 1 40cm snapper and a couple of mowies. Listening to the radio not much seemed to be happening out at browns, no Tuna, no sharks, only gemmies and the odd Blue eye. Seems to be a bit devoid of life out there at the moment. Temp we were getting was 16.8 in close and 17.8 out at the mile. I think temps were around the same at the mountain as well. Oh and nearly forgot to add thank god no jackets to be seen, oh forgot, i lie the only one i saw was in a seals mouth!

Yes well after yesterdays debarcle :biggrin2: headed out again today. Beautiful morning light winds again from the nnw, nice rolling ground swell 1-1.5M from SE, bugger all bird life and again not much showing on the machine.

A few boats around 10 at the most, 1 seal and not much else. First drop produced a nice 60cm king, swam off at a very Fast rate into the depths, 5 minutes later up comes a nice gemmie with another coming up on the jigs 15 minutes later. It has been strange as i have only heard of couta grabbing jigs, i really think these two got lost on the way too Browns, but on the other hand it is the 3rd week in a row we have jigged up gemmies from the 12 mile.

At least an hours wait before the next fish comes up and it starts taking abit of line of the saragaosa, 10 minutes and a decent king comes up at 75cm. We begin to think things are happening but that was it. Hear of a charter boat getting spooled on 80ib braid 300M in 30 secs!!! unknown thief. I think that was what all the shouting was that we heard :yahoo: !

Decided to end the day with a quick reef fish and ended up with a nice feed of flatties, 1 40cm snapper and a couple of mowies. Listening to the radio not much seemed to be happening out at browns, no Tuna, no sharks, only gemmies and the odd Blue eye. Seems to be a bit devoid of life out there at the moment. Temp we were getting was 16.8 in close and 17.8 out at the mile. I think temps were around the same at the mountain as well. Oh and nearly forgot to add thank god no jackets to be seen, oh forgot, i lie the only one i saw was in a seals mouth!

Thanks for the report mate

Framedtrash, gemmies m8, know the difference :thumbup: . Reel Buzz no worries, didnt see many other boats pull in either , one pro boat but unsure of his catch, didnt see him haul. 3 charter boats as well. Arrow squid seem to be out there though in good sizes as jigs were getting loaded then let go of. Werent sure what was going on until 2 hooked themselves solid about a kilo each. Dont know if they are any good on the chew though?

Edited by finin