Help With New Spin Outfit For Use In Carins

framedtrash

heading up to cairns for a week in September

will be going on a few charters and will be fishing from a mates boat while we are there

will be taking up my jig sticks for a bit of fun but also want to get a new spin combo for throwing around lures for barra, queenies and alike from both the boat and from wharfs/shore

was looking at some thing like the saltist spin 4500 spooled with 30lb matched to a wilson live fibre 10-15kg stick ??

does this sound ok or can you recommended some thing else

i want to stick to spin i dont like BC's

budget around $600

cheers

Got the saltist spin 4500 recently and it's sweet. Would buy it again for sure. Metal body, 6 to 1 ratio, nice handle, smooth 13kg drag with carbotex washer's from a saliga 4500. Takes 300m of 50lb braid and lays the line spot on. The daiwa monster mesh and the shimano tcurve 15kg saltwater spin look and feel magic also. They too should keep you under 600 bucks and I think they are about 7ft long which is great for casting. But again an A+ for the reel for it's price. Pulled it apart and is greased ready to go and should last a lifetime. Cheers Andrew.

Hey Framedtrash,

mate if you only goin to be tossing plastics, hardbodies and small poppers then i would recommened a reel in the 4000 size and a lighter 7 foot 10-20lb rod which will give you much more fun then a Live Fiber and Saltist 4500.

For the type of fishing you plan and mentioned to do i would look at the following combo:

Daiwa Sol 4000

Daiwa SOl II Rod

TD-SOL 701 MFS - Spin - 7 Foot - 1 Piece - Medium Action - Line 8 to 14lb - Lure 1/4 to 1/2oz or

TD-SOL 701 HFS - Spin - 7 Foot - 1 Piece - Heavy Action - Line 10 to 20lb - Lure 3/8 to 1oz

the above combo will come in around $500 maybe less and still leave you with change for some 20lb braid, this outfit will knock over any barra, queenfish and reasonable travallies, not to mention that it will be at home here in Sydney catching Kingies on stick bait or snappers or even jewies.

I would recommend the Daiwa Team Advantage 4000 and matching as i have one and it is sweet to use but Daiwa has discountinued that range.

Cheers,

Sz1

Hey Framedtrash,

mate if you only goin to be tossing plastics, hardbodies and small poppers then i would recommened a reel in the 4000 size and a lighter 7 foot 10-20lb rod which will give you much more fun then a Live Fiber and Saltist 4500.

For the type of fishing you plan and mentioned to do i would look at the following combo:

Daiwa Sol 4000

Daiwa SOl II Rod

TD-SOL 701 MFS - Spin - 7 Foot - 1 Piece - Medium Action - Line 8 to 14lb - Lure 1/4 to 1/2oz or

TD-SOL 701 HFS - Spin - 7 Foot - 1 Piece - Heavy Action - Line 10 to 20lb - Lure 3/8 to 1oz

the above combo will come in around $500 maybe less and still leave you with change for some 20lb braid, this outfit will knock over any barra, queenfish and reasonable travallies, not to mention that it will be at home here in Sydney catching Kingies on stick bait or snappers or even jewies.

I would recommend the Daiwa Team Advantage 4000 and matching as i have one and it is sweet to use but Daiwa has discountinued that range.

Cheers,

Sz1

cheers mate thats a nice looking combo

only issue i see is that its a 1 peice 7 foot rod so would be a pain in the arse to travel with

all my rod tubes are all 5 foot :(

Hi framedtrash ,

As Sz1 said mate the daiwa advantage 4000 is a great reel and the daiwa 10lb to 20lb rod 7 foot is a great setup . I use this exact setup for plastics fishing for snapper , lure tossing and so on caught a few kings on it to . Unfortunately not the best travelling rod for planes as it is 1 piece .

Cheers Dogtooth... :1fishing1: John.... :beersmile:

for Barra in the dams I use a symeter 4000 on a Boss 6-8kg rod. love the reel, and the rods not bad either, but its only one piece which may be a bit of trouble travelling. the 2 piece Barra raider 6-10kg might go alright for what you want, Basscatcher has one of those for barra, and it managed to pull a 1.09m Barra from the sticks. and its not too bad on the pocket either, plenty of money left over for plastics, lures and an upper class reel if you feel

Edited by bassboy888

Sol 4000 and a saltwater TD-SA 802 HFS SPIN 2 8’0” HVY FAST ½–1 12–20LB

8ft great for long casting off the bank, tops for snappers down here and leaves a little bit extra for upgrade to an SI braid. You'll fit a 220m spool of 30lb that feels like 10lb of regular braid.

Greg

cheers guys for the tips

i think im going to go with the sol 4000 matched with the TD-SOL 701 HFS and spool her up with some good 30lb braid

can get the combo for around $500 online and will just take it up there in the tube it gets delivered in

bring on September :1fishing1:

Hey Framedtrash,

Sorry mate I total forgot to consider the flight to CArins, which with the 7ft Sol rod you may get some issues trying to get them to take it. To my understanding is that rod tubes needs to be under 2m, a few years ago I went to QLD and had a 7ft tube and the airline wasn’t keen on taking it for me. Since then I have reduced the length of tube to 6ft which never had any more problems.

I suggest to check with the air lines before purchasing the rod, if it is an issue you can check out the new daiwa Wilderness 3 piece travel rod or if you can find it still Team Advantage 3 piece travel rod. Failing that the Terrier range of rods has a few that comes in a 2 pieces which you can consider, not as nice as Sol’s but still pretty good.

Cheers,

just spoke with jetstar

max length is 1.9mtrs cant be any bigger

might look into the TD Saltwater rods they come in 2 peice

and what about the orginal sol rods like the TD-SOL 802 HFS

its a 2 peice 8foot 12-25lb

Edited by Framedtrash

have you looked at the daiwa catalina 762MH Spin 2 piece 7’6” Med Hvy 1-3oz PE 2 the second piece is 1.75m long so you could take it traveling its also quite happy throwing 18 gram poppers around i have mine paired with a 45oo saltist running 30lb braid but i should have got the stradic 8000 is a top reel with spare spool that can be had for 250 currently both of which come in under your budget of $600 though the rod may be a bit heavy lure weight wise

cheers mick

Edited by hooklineandsinker

Hi Mate,

I travel all over Australia with work and it has its pluses and minuses. The plus is I have fished in some fantastic places.

I travel with an 7.5" foot jarvis walker rod tube and have never been denied, it holds 3-5 rods up to 7 foot. I have done this at least 25 times this year alone.

As for a combo - - I have a shimano saragosa 5000 on a Tournament t-curve snapper 4-8kg 7 foot rod.

This has landed fish to 20kg+ - though it did take a while.

Rod $299 ish reel $269 ish + Braid.

I like 1 piece rods and if the rod tube is worrying you - don't let it. Fish the the rods you like and enjoy. You will not get stuck.

post-6714-128160909787_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Josh

Hi Mate,

I travel all over Australia with work and it has its pluses and minuses. The plus is I have fished in some fantastic places.

I travel with an 7.5" foot jarvis walker rod tube and have never been denied, it holds 3-5 rods up to 7 foot. I have done this at least 25 times this year alone.

As for a combo - - I have a shimano saragosa 5000 on a Tournament t-curve snapper 4-8kg 7 foot rod.

This has landed fish to 20kg+ - though it did take a while.

Rod $299 ish reel $269 ish + Braid.

I like 1 piece rods and if the rod tube is worrying you - don't let it. Fish the the rods you like and enjoy. You will not get stuck.

post-6714-128160909787_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Josh

great combo mate i have the saragosa in 18000 and i love it

but have u ever flown with jetstar i spoke to them and they said they wont accept any thing over 1.9mtrs as it wont fit into there cargo boxes

i would hate to buy a combo and then have it denied at the airport

Edited by Framedtrash

My new setup I just recently bought seems reasonable and in your price range as well. Daiwa Seajigger 325 11" 2 piece, with a Daiwa TD SOL 4000. Cost me 620 all together. The Seajigger is light and at the same time it has alot of grunt.

the seajigger's are nice rods but at 10’6” its a little too big for use when i bring back home.

once back in sydney its going to be used on the downrigger and for throwing big plastics/lures at kings

i think im going to go with a Tcurve power spin 672 2 piece with a either a 4000 or 5000 saragosa spooled with some 30lb

cant wait for this trip :1fishing1:

• 3 weeks later...

the seajigger's are nice rods but at 10’6” its a little too big for use when i bring back home.

once back in sydney its going to be used on the downrigger and for throwing big plastics/lures at kings

i think im going to go with a Tcurve power spin 672 2 piece with a either a 4000 or 5000 saragosa spooled with some 30lb

cant wait for this trip :1fishing1:

Hey mate if you are still in the market for a reel im selling a TD Advantage that has been used twice (in perfect condition) one spool with 20lb tufline and one with 30lb tufline. Would be suitable for what you need. It's in the swap and sell section.