Is A 5.8 Trailcraft Now A 6.1?

nlange

Hi Guys,

I have a 5.8 2004 Trailcraft Trailblazer and I was told a few years ago that they remeasured them and that they should be 5.95, now I notice they are being called 6.1. and if so can my boat now be rebadged as the 6.1????

The specs seem the same, is there anyone in the know that is aware of the full story?

Regards

Nigel

Jeff,

I was using the boat specs that came with my boat and comparing with Trailcraft web site but my understanding is using a straight line from the bow to the ground

(not counting the sprite at the front)and measure to the rear of the bottom of boat at the transom.

Regards

Nigel

Guys,

I found some original specs for my 595 sportscab and comparing the two I couldnt see one bit of difference between the 6.1 and mine on paper also a while back was at a ramp with a bloke in 580 trailblazer,apart from the obvious difference's inside the boats and slightly different cabin lengths,parked side by side they looked identical by eye.

Outwoodly it seems most likely the 580,595,610 to be one in the same hull,just badging changes,from the manufacturing side of things it doesnt seem logical to keep changing the physical sizes within similar boats over 4 to 5 year period,would also appear old 560 now 570 and old 640 now 660.

Just my thoughts,be interesting to hear the builders own comments.

Cheers

Wayne

Agree completely Reggie,

Very confusing, some people must be reading the thread and thinking what the hell are they on about. lol

We need someone that worked at the the factory to explain for sure what happened.

Besides just wanting to know, :unsure: a 6.1 would be worth more than a 5.8 and in the 6.1 you dont need to wear a life jacket in Tassie.

Nigel,

Another observation I made and forgot to mention was fuel tank size,mines 250ltr,assume yours same, big difference from the ext size down 165ltr for the 570.Mate can you tell us more about lifejacket laws down that way ahdnt heard it before.

Cheers

Wayne

Nigel,

Another observation I made and forgot to mention was fuel tank size,mines 250ltr,assume yours same, big difference from the ext size down 165ltr for the 570.Mate can you tell us more about lifejacket laws down that way ahdnt heard it before.

Cheers

Wayne

Is Trailcraft back in business?

I am led to beleive they are,the companys owner posted on another site that they were up and running.

Yeah I found that site, but did you see all the prevoius employees and dealers writing in and bagging him and the new company? Seems all the manufacturing equipment was sold and that they are using another manufacturer and using a heap of 1/2 finished hulls to make new boats, very messy it appears.

Shame I always thought they were great boats, mate has a 5.4 Trailblazer and it is nice. Only thing I would have liked to have seen was either flotation (which I think the last ones had to have to meet upcoming regs) and/or sealed underfloor bulkheads.

It does not matter who made the boat or who put the badges on.

There is a length over all (LOA) and I will be contacting NSW Maritime as soon as they open around 8.30 am and get a definitive answer.

Whether this particular boat builder is in or out of business has nothing to do with the question of boat length and if the original poster has to wear a life jacket or not.

This topic is closed until I get an answer from the relevant authorities.

EDIT ... I have spoken with NSW Maritime and they tell me that the BOAT CODE dealers do the measurements.

Huett Marine are indeed one of these and Huey will make a reply on this subject on monday evening.

Be very mindful of the Site Rule No.3

Admin

This from Huey who is a boat code representative.

Hi Guys, this is a tough situation and all brands will measure their hulls differently with some changing the name even though the boats have not changed. The correct way is hull length and that is what the Maritime, in at least NSW, uses and it is on the boatcode certificate. Not sure about Tassy so you would need to find that out. As an example, lets take a Stacer, the brand I choose to stock and sell, a Stacer 589 Oceanrunner has on the HIN certicate the length as 5.89M so that is what the authorites would use when in fact, Stacer could "call" this boat a 6.05M Oceanrunner if the bowsprit is included which does not make the hull a bigger hull and should not be used to measure a hull and is not included in the NSW HIN measurements.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Huey.

Added for Huey

Regards Admin