Which Popper/livebaiting Rod/reel

A.dawg

Need some help with deciding which Rod reel combo to buy Budget is 400-600$$$ together

I will be tossing poppers out for kings and also livebaiting Live squid n gars

for the reel I would like to hav a solid reel with 10-20kgs of drag i was looking at the saltist 4500H (6500 was too heavy) Stradic 6000 exceler da 6500 Im jumping all over the place deciding on which to get Any others to check out

Rods were the major problem Hav no idea about the rods When i went down to a local tackle store some showed me a tescata, a heavy LOX jigging rod saltiga( but out off the budget) and a monster mesh Length i want will be around 7-8 foot.

Any advice much appreciated

Alan

Hi mate, good choice on the reel its a real work horse i just got one and it seems unstoppable. I was going to say the saltiga its well worth it iv had one 4 bout 3 weeks only have got rats on it but handles good.

catalinas can be had currently for $279 plus post and a stradic 8000 for $249 at the same aussie online shop in SA :biggrin2: and its under your budget even posted

i can vouch for the catilina med/heavy stick as i have mine matched to a saltist 4500 but if i had it over again id more than likely get a stradic even has spare spool and 13kg drag its better than the 10 drag on my saltist

i run 30lb on the rod even though its rated to PE2

also i use mine for poppers /lures of the stones but have never used it for livebaiting yet

hope it helps

mick

Hi mick

Will definatley check the catalina out at that price

Also where i fish i want to be able to stop kings immediatley as there is alot off structure and i cannot let the fish take control over me for more that 10seconds (due to all the moorings around) Will a PE 3 catalina suit this?? was thinking maybe the PE5 but is that too heavy??

Alan