Tcd Today

flycaster

Hi Fishraiders

Long time reader, first post. I am a regular flyfisher at TCD (indicator nymphing usually) and in past years have had quite consistent success. This year has been terrible. I think out of at least ten visits, I have caught about six in all and some of them were fingerlings and the others much smaller than the usual behemoths of TCD. I know it has fluctuated a lot in levels and is the highest at the moment that it has been for a few years. It's very strange to go so long without any good catches. I noticed even Stewie (the guru) had a donut. Let's hope things pick up soon.

Regards to all

Flycaster

Hi guys, try focusing your efforts around the inflowing channels and windlanes. Plenty of fish still cruising the shallows looking for somewhere to spawn. They can be tricky to catch but if you move very slowly and lead the fish by a good couple of metres you are in with a chance.I have been doing best with a glo bug tied to the bend of a beadhead flashback nymph suspended under an indicator, adjust the indicator to suit the depth. You want the globug to drag/bounce along the bottom.If your indicator dips or stalls in its drift strike immediately chances are theres a fish on. cheers Jamie

Hi guys, try focusing your efforts around the inflowing channels and windlanes. Plenty of fish still cruising the shallows looking for somewhere to spawn. They can be tricky to catch but if you move very slowly and lead the fish by a good couple of metres you are in with a chance.I have been doing best with a glo bug tied to the bend of a beadhead flashback nymph suspended under an indicator, adjust the indicator to suit the depth. You want the globug to drag/bounce along the bottom.If your indicator dips or stalls in its drift strike immediately chances are theres a fish on. cheers Jamie

Hi Troutboy

I am not aware of any inflowing channels at TCD and windlanes tend to be too far off shore to reach. I have not noticed any false spawners either. Is your answer generic or specific. I did hear some guys saying that there were some false spawners a few weeks back in the north eastern corner. I would be interested in more information.

Kind regards

Flycaster

Hi Troutboy

I am not aware of any inflowing channels at TCD and windlanes tend to be too far off shore to reach. I have not noticed any false spawners either. Is your answer generic or specific. I did hear some guys saying that there were some false spawners a few weeks back in the north eastern corner. I would be interested in more information.

Kind regards

Flycaster

Hi flycaster, at the back end of the dam on the left hand side pretty much directly opposite the quarry is a small creek that does flow into the dam after rain( runs down from a farm on the left)fish have been gathering in the small channel in groups of up to 1/2 dozen or more.If you move slowly and look hard you will see lots of fish in pairs barely 3 ft of the waters edge. Was there a few weeks back and landed a nice buck brown around the 6 to 7 lbs mark fishing in the channel / drain . cheers Jamie

Hi Guys,

TCD has been fishing great all year, I am yet to have a bad day and I have been there more weekends than not since April regularly landing fish over 60cm.

Flycaster, take your time scanning the water, you will see fish (false spawners) but they are usually right on the limit of being visible so make sure you have a good pair of polaroids and take your time. These fish have been taking olive wooly worms and olive wooly buggers with little if any hesitation.

Having said that, as troutboy said, the glo bug under an indicator works well too.

There have also been big brownies (60cm +) around in the shallows of the newly flooded bays, particularly after it's rained and there is quite a bit of run off running down the hill sides. They are moving very slowly, hard to see and even harder to catch.

All the best,

Matt

Hi Guys,

TCD has been fishing great all year, I am yet to have a bad day and I have been there more weekends than not since April regularly landing fish over 60cm.

Flycaster, take your time scanning the water, you will see fish (false spawners) but they are usually right on the limit of being visible so make sure you have a good pair of polaroids and take your time. These fish have been taking olive wooly worms and olive wooly buggers with little if any hesitation.

Having said that, as troutboy said, the glo bug under an indicator works well too.

There have also been big brownies (60cm +) around in the shallows of the newly flooded bays, particularly after it's rained and there is quite a bit of run off running down the hill sides. They are moving very slowly, hard to see and even harder to catch.

All the best,

Matt

Hey Matt

You are obviously much more experienced than I. In previous years I have also had consistent success at TCD, but this year has been hopeless (for me). Thank you for your information, I will concentrate much harder in future. I know where the creek is and have not fished it much.

Kindest regards

Ross